Hi from Buckinghamshire

Hello all! I'm new to wet shaving having used an electric shaver for many years. After a little bit of research I recently purchased my first Straight Edge razor, some soap and brush. I wish I'd found the forum and all the shared knowledge and experiences on here first! A couple of YouTube clips and I had my first shave with the new tool yesterday, I've never been so scared! All went well and a super smooth shave and a rewarding experience, although I have 3 stripes on my face to remind me to respect the razor. I'll keep practicing and will treat myself to a DE safety razor and some blades for my week day shaves when there isn't so much time available. Looking forward to learning more. Thanks all!

Welcome to wet shaving and the forum! If you need a great DE razor for a daily shaver, there are plenty listed in the Buy Sell Trade pages of this forum, usually at excellent prices.

Hello and welcome.

Taking the plunge with a straight edge is brave! It is something I would like to try but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Be prepared to fall into a rabbit hole of soaps, croaps, creams, splashes, balms, oils, adjustable, blades etc. etc. I think one question you have to ask yourself is "is enough shaving software to last a lifetime really enough?!"

Ross

Tom Hanks Hello GIF

Hi there @PhilT
You will fit right in here.
T

A warm welcome from me too. I'm probably not far from you as I'm in Berks. I also jumped in at the deep end with straight razors, although fortunately I had discovered TSR first so I had at least read up on it. Someone here gave me a DE which opened a new rabbit hole, and then I started with AC single edge as well, so I rotate between them, like you say, blades for work days and cutthroat razors for weekends if there's time. Nice to have someone else who can post in the quiet backwater that is Straight Razor Shave of the Day!

Thank you all for the very warm welcome! Second shave with the Dovo Cellidor today, a little less scary than first time, I took my time and a very smooth shave and no blood! I'm learning how to keep my face taught and how to get the angle correct on every surface. I stuck to shaving with the growth and will continue to do so until I feel ready to try across it. I used Taylors of Old Bond Street Soap, my Dovo brush, an Alum block and some Witch Hazel Facial wash followed by L'Occitane after shave moisturiser. I could get use to this :) Thank you all for the sharing your knowledge and experience.

It certainly is a brave thing to start out with a straight razor! I went the SR route a couple of years ago but eventually found out it wasn’t for me. Good luck !

Back
Top Bottom