Hi Everyone!

J

Jay

Hi, I'm Jay. I had my first shave with a DE Razor today. I loved it. Really satisfying. My face has not been this smooth since I was thirteen and stole one of my mum's Bics to shave off the caterpillar that had mysteriously appeared on my top lip. There was one slight problem. I somehow managed to make so many cuts on my face that I looked like I had been mauled by a pack of wolves & my face had gone a beautiful rich red orange! Honestly.. There was more blood than at the Somme! Has anyone got any tips to improve my technique? Or know of somewhere that sells good styptic pencils?

Jay

Hello Jay

Welcome
You will very soon discover you have come to the right place!
Have a good look through the forum posts and you will find no end of advice that will help you. Come up with your questions and post them in the most appropriate part of the forum.
General shaving and shaving help would be a good place to start. Sounds like you attacked a bit too hard on your first session. The key is to use very little pressure with your razor and using two or more "passes" going with the grain, across the grain then eventually a light pass against the grain for that extra smooth shave. You will soon pick all this up when you see some of the other threads.

Enjoy the journey. It will be fun.

Jay said:
Has anyone got any tips to improve my technique? Or know of somewhere that sells good styptic pencils?

Ayup Jay and welcome.

Supreme Grand Shave Master Fido has some sound advice.

Also if you post details of your shaving kit we might be able to save you some money on styptic and toilet paper - might be something as simple as the wrong type of blade.

welcome Jay.Please check out the shaving help section for tips and some mantic videos.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewforum.php?f=6</a><!-- l -->

Welcome...

As suggested study and follow the guides in Shaving Help...plenty of questions will be sure to follow.

I will be offering a few alum blocks (large styptic block) at cost in the near future so keep an eye out for that.

Welcome , mantics videos are really helpful. The guys here are very helpful , I've taken their recommendations and really felt the improvement.
The guys here are brilliant at answering questions , they really take pride in helping people out.

Welcome to TSR, Jay

Another one that thinks you may have been 'forcing' the blade too hard. How long did you spend on your 'prep'? You don't say what gear you have but get yourself a nicely balanced razor e.g. Futur, good quality blades and some good moisturizer if you do not have any at present. On that final point can I recommend Trumper's Skin Food which I know is a bit like marmite, you either love it or hate it. I personally wouldn't use anything else but other's won't touch the stuff. You can get samples of their creams, skin foods and a few colognes from them. go to <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.trumpers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.trumpers.com</a><!-- w --> for £4 or samples from T&H for £6 and £10 respectively.
Let us know what happens.

Cheers Mate. ;)

Hello Jay, welcome to TSR.

I was quite amused by the fact that you said that your first DE shave was very satisfying, but it actually sounds like you had a bit of a 'mare!

A few points, which have probably been mentioned by those that have replied before me:

Wet your beard, wash it, and then rinse with loads and loads of water. The wetter the better.

When you shave, make sure that the angle of the blade where it meets your face is around 30 degrees. I used to hold the razor handle parallel to the floor and then slowly angle it until I heard hair being cut. Try to maintain the same angle all over your face and neck.

Use very light pressure. Let the weight of the razor do the work. Keep the razor so that the blade is just incontact with your face.

Take your time - maybe even get up a little earlier so you don't need rush.

EDIT: Oh, and check out the mantic59 videos on youtube.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom