help with hone i.d

im back again looking for help once again.stumbled on 330mate.com,s site aznd saw some beutifull japanesse stone but could not suss which one,s were the one,s for finishing + TOUCH ups anyone out there got a clue :eek:

I don't know Japanese but Google Chrome has a rather useful translate function which pops up every time you navigate to a foreign language site.
Still difficult to understand though...

You can also pm him and tell him what you want and what you want it for - good luck reading his mangled english though! Also thought you didn't want to risk paying import taxes...

neil you are right not paying import was the master plan but been off work sick for a week trying to distract myself from tooth pain has give me a lot more time upgrade from a c12 or move to something like a 15000.also what is form when touch up,s are not working do you have to resett bevel or just take it to down to 4000 many thanks for the feed back andy

Hello Andy,

If touch-ups aren't working you have to drop back in grit size - with luck 4000 will do it, then you can work back up the grits again. It's best to find out what is wrong though - a strong loupe, say 20x or 30x helps here. If it has been a long time since the last honing session, the bevel might be a bit rounded from stropping and need re-setting.

The C12k is a great stone, but too slow for me - OK if you have a lot of time on your hands. For a good value-for-money hone you should have a look at the Naniwa superhones - the 10k is a great finsher, as is the 12k. If you want to refine the edge a bit more some chrome oxide on a bench strop is hard to beat! Your bench strop can be as fancy as you like, or just a big hunk of balsa from the model shop.

Regards,
Neil

Indeed, i have a c12k and moved to the 16k shapton gs and the difference in cutting speed is night and day.
Cromox is great for giving that extra zing to an edge, i go one step further and use caesium oxide to make it that little bit smoother.

Back
Top Bottom