Help with choicer

Hi
I am looking to get a better DE razor. Currently using a shaving factory butterfly opening one but not that good. I did have a Merkur Futur until a while ago when it got left in a hotel and not been able to afford another one since. I also have a 1904 classic but that seems to cut my face to shreds when I use it. I'm looking at something like Merkur 33C, Parker 80R or the Jagger D89. Any advice or experience with these.

J

First, why not introduce yourself in the Welcome section, so that we can get to know you. As for your choice, if you're having problems with the 1904, I'd suggest either the De89 or possibly a vintage Gillette Tech.

Welcome aboard seabirch. :)

Out of interest, which setting did you use in the Futur and was that ok or still causing irritation? For a little more you could always opt for a vintage adjustable as well if you liked the adjustable but then I understand about the money side of things. The only thing to think about is sometimes buying all these fixed head razors could cost more than just buying one adjustable and playing with settings. DE89 should be less irritating and can buy for £20 - £25. Am considering this too as I would like to try a longer-handled razor that isn't a big difference from the Merkur 34C.

http://bigshave.wordpress.com/2011/12/16/the-dreaded-1904-gillette-replica-aka-the-shiney-beast/

chrisbell said:
First, why not introduce yourself in the Welcome section, so that we can get to know you. As for your choice, if you're having problems with the 1904, I'd suggest either the De89 or possibly a vintage Gillette Tech.

If you want to try a tech, I was just about to put one on the B/S/T forum for sale. pm me if it is the sort of thing you might be interested.

Canuck said:
A Jagger 86/87/89 all day long. A razor that's very hard to go wrong with, and yet it shaves really well, at the price you won't find a better razor.

+1 You can't go wrong with one of these.

Canuck said:
A Jagger 86/87/89 all day long. A razor that's very hard to go wrong with, and yet it shaves really well, at the price you won't find a better razor.

There's a reason so many of us are agreeing with Canuck .............. and when you are enjoying your EJ you'll experience exactly what it is.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

JohnnyO said:
Canuck said:

There's a reason so many of us are agreeing with Canuck .............. and when you are enjoying your EJ you'll experience exactly what it is.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

+1.
:icon_razz:

I have an EJ89 and I think it's ok, a good starter, as they are well made and not expensive. It was my first razor, I wouldn't say it's the best shaver as I have an old Gillette Tech and an even older PAL that shave ME better. For a first razor I don't think you can go wrong, it's better than a cartridge!!

Tackleberry said:
I have an EJ89 and I think it's ok, a good starter, as they are well made and not expensive. It was my first razor... I wouldn't say it's the best shaver

Indeed it's good as a starter but it's actually better than that in the long term, I got my Jagger really early on, (8 weeks in?) and in hindsight it was alright then, but I'm now finding that after using a slant and an R41 and really learning all aspects of DE shaving it's actually a better razor than I first gave it credit for.

Helveticum: I appreciate everyone's different and I like your individuality but I'm picking up just a hint of mocking, do you maybe see the group love for a Jagger DE as a sort of sheep mentality? I honestly think this just a good solid razor, the fact that a lot of guys here like it doesn't surprise me.
(And I must admit I'm the opposite of a forum sheep, I hate Palmolive!)

What would you say is a better all round razor at the approx £20 mark? Genuine question.

Canuck said:
Helveticum: I appreciate everyone's different and I like your individuality but I'm picking up just a hint of mocking, do you maybe see the group love for a Jagger DE as a sort of sheep mentality? I honestly think this just a good solid razor, the fact that a lot of guys here like it doesn't surprise me.
(And I must admit I'm the opposite of a forum sheep, I hate Palmolive!)

What would you say is a better all round razor at the approx £20 mark? Genuine question.

No, I view it as patronising - assuming newbies have neither money nor ability to handle (or even find) anything else. EJ is certainly better than cartridges, but I don't think it's an incredibly good razor in terms of efficiency and smoothness.

To answer your question - you can get Aristo for around 20 quid, or a good Rocket, for instance - these are very mild yet effective shavers unlike EJ. Or Fatip, but that one's more demanding :) Also - maybe not all folks have limited budgets?
I'm an advocate of recommending Yellows to everyone, but that's because they're really some of the best all rounders, other blades may make a significant difference only in particular razors (like Astras in my Weber). But in case of software and razors there's really some good selection of top stuff out there apart from EJ and Palmolive.

Back
Top Bottom