Help with a SE.

Hi all.
Just had my first shave with a single edge razor,well,part shave really,i tried a first pass but couldnt get the head under my nose for fear of slicing it off,went round my jaw and chin but felt some tugging and pulling,i used a blade from connaught so it was a good one,i ended up finishing off with my Muhle R89.
My Alum block stung like an angry Wasp and depite ASB my face now smarts like hell,prep was as usual,hot shower and face splashed with warm water before lathering,i used Honeybee Mocha Coffee Soap which produces nice thick lubricating lather.
Where did i go wrong?any advice,scathing criticism,soul destroying comments are welcome,ish.

Dave.

trainman said:
Where did i go wrong?

Angle or pressure. Favorite would be angle, as it seems to vary from person to person. Some people have the ca of the razor flat to the skin, others need to lift it to give the blade a steeper angle.

Ian

Yep, prep, pressure and angle. However, I've tried a few SE blades and none were as sharp as a Feather or Super Iridium. It could be that even the best SE blade available is only as sharp as a mediocre DE blade.

Ive found that most SE blades tend to be 'sharp enough' (Tho not all, some are ideally designed to be used with Razor Paint scrapers not shaving tools).
Provided your using a decent blade the thing causing you problems is with the Angle.. You use a different technique than with a DE.
The flat top of the razor almost lies flat against your face, then you get a cut rather than a scrape - remember the SE blades have no flex or give whatsoever unlike a DE blade.

My first few SE shaves left me feeling like i had taken a wood plane to my face till i got the hang of it.

Thanks Guys,i was using it like i use my DE Razors,i'll have another go at some stage,not tomorrow as my face still stings,have to give it a rest for a couple of days.

Dave.

I use the GEM PTFE coated AKA Ted Pella's & i get them at - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/dissect.htm#_121_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/dissect.htm#_121_1</a><!-- m --> I have no idea if they are as sharp as a DE. But, with the right technique in the right razor these are more than sharp enough for 5 shaves.

I can get BBS shaves in a Micromatic Open comb, Ever Ready 1912 & Ever Ready lather catcher. The BBS seems to last longer as well.

Echo that- angle, pressure, technique.

Back
Top Bottom