HELP PLEASE...

Just started de shaving and going well except when im done i rinse face with plenty of cold water then apply balm it stings like crazy for a good 40-50 mins and is very sore on neck area,anybody recommend a cheapy good aftershave balm/cream please or will i get this regardless what i use many thanks.

There are many things that might be contributing to your sore face, and if you read through the top tips found on this site you might find that you're doing something not recommended, eg using the wrong blade for your skin, pressing on too hard, etc. But to answer your question about aftershave balm, I was recommended - and have found none better than - Proraso aftershave balm, available here:

http://connaughtshaving.com/prorasobalm.html

Your problem will be resolved when you find the blade that works best for you in your razor, and you do your passes with a sufficiently light touch. Nice and easy with the grain to start with, additional across the grain as you progress and only very light against the grain when you are good and ready. I used to feel sore after using very sharp blades. Now I've found the blades that work for me, the soreness is gone.

A non alcaholic balm will provide some relief. Probably best will be a simple moisturiser. Some people find an alum block helps relieve soreness.

Be patient and things will improve.

If you have a good prep routine going - lots of hot water to soften the beard. Then, as mentioned it is the blade and your technique. Connaught Shaving offer a blade sample pack <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://connaughtshaving.com/samplepack.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://connaughtshaving.com/samplepack.html</a><!-- m -->. The top sample pack would be a good one to start with. Use whatever blade make you start with, stick with it for two weeks - this will give you the time to learn which blade is best for you.

If you are using the Futur I think you said you'd bought, make sure it is set to a mildish setting. Alot of blade exposure and the bad technique action will give you a sore fizzer. Is the Futur your fist DE razor?

In the meatime, aloe vera gel or a moisturizer will help a little.

Everything has already been said above, you can buy all the balms but they aren't curing the root cause. You simply should not get the burn that you are experiencing. It sounds like either not enough prep or maybe your soap mix is not working for you. Perhaps you are being too aggressive on the sensitive areas, it can take a couple of shaves for your skin to adjust to using a DE but it is worth the effort.

Post up exactly what you are doing step by step and we may be able to help better.

Yes to all the above...tell us what your using and how and we can help you further. A 40 minute burn is excessive, your kit will make a difference but how you use it makes the most difference.

Giver your skin a chance to recover.
2 passes with the grain only. NO ATG passes, very gently.

Don't worry about the result yet.

Agree with the above posts, only going with the grain for now, minimal pressure etc. Also try dridiot for a custom blade sample pack.
Rather than a moisturiser/balm, on the neck you could try "sudocrem" from the chemist, a good antiseptic for cuts and grazes etc.

Cheers guys guess im going for the full monty too soon..
1-soak face for a good 2-3 mins with a hot wet facecloth
2-apply a face wash the real shaving company
3-apply the same make hot face towel leave for a good 4-5 mins
4-wash face again and apply a few drops of shaving oil to neck/face
5-apply lather been using kent soap or arko shaving stick
6-shave using futur on 2-3 setting with derby blade wtg
7-been relathering then going atg/sideways
looks like i have been trying to get that babys bottom too soon..

Could be the Derby, some people love em, some people hate em. I hate em. They gave me the sort of face you're complaining of. Go for the sample pack mentioned above and try a different blade.

Could also be the ATG pass you're doing. I've been at this lark for 4 months now, and it took me about 2-3 months to get happy with the ATG pass.

Went back to my old arko stick and gillette adjustable with a tiger blade on setting 2 tonight and what a shave,very pleasent and no nicks cuts or burning sensations afterwards...got to admit tried a few fancy soaps and creams now but in my opinion nothing comes close to these Arko shaving sticks there the dogs in my opinion..

Hi Slash
I'm a Futur user. Dial it back to 1 or 1.5, I'm sure that will help, especially on your first pass. 3 can be pretty radical as your face is still becoming accustomed to a new experience.

Regards

You seem to be prepping well which is great, personally I give the shaving oil a miss, I find it tends to gunk up the razor and does more good than harm but it is a personal preference. The initial goal is just to get an irritation free shave and then try to make that result better.

Good work keep at it and you will get there.

:) Prepped well tonight and thought id give my kent soap another outing after last weeks disaster,knocked the futur down to 1.5 as advised on here and a crackin shave with a tiger blade(2nd time ive used this blade) and i seem to get on well with it so far as no weepies or cuts and not much soreness afterwards..Thanks for the advice on here fellas much appreciated. :shave

Back
Top Bottom