Help on Nannys soap fragrances?

Hey again guys.

I see on here that a lot of you rate these soaps, and I was planning on ordering some trial packs to test consistency and fragrance.

Unfortunately, there arent any available so I thought I'd ask you guys which you've used and what you've thought on them?

I like quite fruity fragrances, and I also want to know what the "Goats milk" ranges are like? Are they better/worse than the others?

I've probably tried, tested or bought most of them ... sadly my ability to describe scents is non existent. However:

Eucalyptus and Tea Tree: the medicinal one.
Lime: really does smell like proper limes, not limeade.
Ice 'n' a Slice: lime + menthol.
Exotic: warm soft spiciness.
The spicy one: a bit more bracing than the above.
Arabian Nights: my favourite of the spice scented ones, maybe a bit of frankincense in there?
The original lavender one: like falling into a lavender bush.
French lavender:, as above, plus a bit of a medicinal tang.
Rasage Traditionel: damned if I know ... peppery?
Yushu: juniper berries, or if you prefer, gin.
Norwegian wood, or Pining for the Fjords as I call it: pine, obviously.
Citrus Zinger: I haven't tried it but the name gives a hefty clue, presumably.

There may well be a few I've forgotten. There are three basic formulae, and some goats' milk variants. The original hard formula was one of those effervescent soaps which produce lather which dies quickly - that's long been superseded, but there may be some E&T left. The new hard soap is not especially hard and can be pressed into a bowl easily, whereas the soft type varies between a putty sort of texture to something which is very nearly a cream.

In use, both the current formulae lather very readily and will accept a surprising amount of water before the lather is over hydrated, which in practice is unlikely to happen. If it does, some vigorous brush work on the face tends to sort it out. For my purposes I aim for a fairly soft sort of consistency and a glossy appearance; on the other hand if you like really thick lather that's easy enough and it won't dry out on you. The lather remains stable for a long, long time, even standing in a scuttle. Cushion and slip are about as good as it gets, and coupled with the protection it seems to give make the soap an ideal choice for straight users.

The goats' milk versions behave in much the same way, and leave the skin feeling particularly good; there's a slight trade off though because the lather doesn't seem to be quite so slippery (it's still fine). There was a goaty version made for Mantic without kaolin which was perfectly usable, but again the glide was reduced and I don't think Sharon has produced any more. However, if clay is a problem I'm sure she could be persuaded to do a small batch without.

If I were you, noobstu, I'd drop Sharon a line and see if you can negotiate a few samples for which you should be prepared to pay a modest sum - it's not as if making shaving soap is a path to riches after all, and it will be well worth it.

Thanks for the response matey. I particularly like the idea of the goats milk ones to be honest. I need a decent shaving brush too, so I might see if I can get it along with a couple of tins of the soap.

What is her name on here? I'll send her a PM, and see whats going down.

Back
Top Bottom