Help on cleaning this blade please

Hi guys, I could do with some advice on cleaning this blade please. I've cleaned a couple of blades up so far and all I've done is either use autosol or hand sanding, however I've just gotten my hands on this and I have no idea what to do about the details on the blade. I know my usual cleaning methods would remove them, is there any way to clean the blade without destroying them? Thanks in advance
P.S. I know the blade edge is a mess and getting it shave ready would be a royal pain but cleaning the thing is my first port of call.

Well i'm not to sure the details are worth keeping, if it were mine I think I would sacrifice the details to bring the blade back to a very high mirror polish, take the scales off give it the full works including the scales. full restore.

Jamie.

There is light rusting across most of the gold wash, looks like it may be easier to just do what I normally do. Although I am being given a Dremel on monday so I may wait until then and use the buffing attachments for it. Would you advise using a dremel or should I stick with doing it all by hand?

If you are going to use a dremal make sure you have jig to hold the blade and be very careful near the edge of the blade as it's very easy the damage/shatter it. You also will have to be careful of letting the blade get to hot and damaging the temper.

But to answer your question, if you try to clean the blade face with the gold wash with anything it will disappear.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the Dremel Toy tools, hand sanding with wet & dry paper will give you better results, ideally you should remove the blade though, then clean up the scales and re- pin the razor, good luck, post your results with a few pictures that would be nice.

Regards Jamie.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Personally I wouldn't bother with the Dremel Toy tools, hand sanding with wet & dry paper will give you better results, ideally you should remove the blade though, then clean up the scales and re- pin the razor, good luck, post your results with a few pictures that would be nice.

Regards Jamie.

Ok, thanks for the tip Jamie. I've got a few blades that need some work doing to them, I'll probably create a new thread with some before and after pics of them all when I'm finished. May take a while though, these will be my first major clean and restore jobs so I'm going to take it very slowly so that I don't make any major mistakes.

Funny, I was just going to post the same question about cleaning up a blade with a bit of gold wash on it after receiving this PAX from eBay today. Thoughts? Should I try myself or send something like this to Neil who'll probably do it far less damage than I will?

IMAG0109.jpg

IMAG0108.jpg

Question on gold or other metal washes. Do you find that on blades with a iron base with a precious metal inlaid or applied that there's a chemical reaction that caused the iron to rust faster?

Grant: if you're keen on the goldwash then it would be worth having a word with Neil, yes. Cleaning the blade would certainly obliterate it, but unless I miss my guess he'll be able to reinstate it for you. Pretty razor, that.

Arrowhead said:
Grant: if you're keen on the goldwash then it would be worth having a word with Neil, yes. Cleaning the blade would certainly obliterate it, but unless I miss my guess he'll be able to reinstate it for you. Pretty razor, that.

Cheers Andy - I'll give Neil a shout. It's the only goldwash razor I have, so I'm keen to keep the wash on it!

Well, I got some advice from Neil and because there's tarnish & corrosion under the layers of etching and wash, it's not something that would be worth trying to rescue. He recommended a light run over with metal polish to remove some of the tarnish, then covering it in nail varnish before working on the edges. Afterwards, it'll need to be kept oiled to prevent the tarnish & corrosion taking over again.

I've run it through the ultrasonic cleaner to get rid of the gunk & muck and rubbed it lighty with metal polish and it's removed almost all of gold wash, unfortunately. The etching is all still there, so the blade's still nicely decorative.

I'm about to oil it lightly and put it away for now until I get round to it in my pile of restores.

Cheers

Grant

Back
Top Bottom