Help me place my first large order...

Hi Guys,

I need to choose 2-3 blades and place a bulk order (50 blades, perhaps more) soon.
If I provide some info on my preferences, can you point me in the right direction please?

So far, I like

Feather Blades (Yellow packs) - work well as a daily blade in my ball-end tech (v. mild razor).

Super Iridiums or Astra Superior Platinums (will make up my mind soon. The Astras do save ~ £3 per 100 blades).

Thanks to Rev and Andy, I have my fav Gillette 'Swedes' back. I use these only on certain occasions due to the short supply.

Blades I tried and won't be ordering:
Kai - Tried in the latest Muhle + my lovely ball-end tech. Too rough for my skin.
Derby - Wouldn't cut my brillo pad beard at all
Red Personna - Great smoothe blade but I need a bit more sharpness
Gillette Super Thin Thai (the one with a picture of a man's face and red/black packet) - Really nice blade for me but limited supply? I don't want to fall for a blade that I won't be able to get in 6 months time. I learnt my lesson from the 'Swedes' :(

There are so many blades out there and I don't want to feel as if I've missed out on a 'clear winner'.

Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Bleues
Gillette Bleue Extra
Gillette Super Silver
Gillette 7'oclock - 3 different types - Yellow, black and green!
Treet Carbon Black Beauty
Treet Dura Sharp

Feather 'Black' See:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50-FEATHER-BLACK-Hi-Stainless-Double-Edge-Razor-Blades_W0QQitemZ250507836843QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a536e3dab" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50-FEATHER-BLACK- ... 3a536e3dab</a><!-- m -->

Are any of the above blades cheaper than Feathers/Astras/Iridiums and also close to being as good in
terms of sharpness and smootheness?
I.e. Out of them, which would you definately recommend for me to try? Are there any that I have missed out that I should definately try?I'd like a blade(s) that will be around in 6 months time when I will place a significant order (500+ blades).

Do any of you have a 5 year (or longer) supply of any blade? IS that the 'way to do it' ? It sounds like the best thing for me to do: Find 1-2 blades I like and fork out for a lifetime supply, as I don't see prices getting cheaper in the future. More importantly, it saves a lot of hassle.

Thank you very much.

Sonny

Can't really help as I've just started myself but I'm in a similar situation so interested in the replies.

Not too sure I could do a lifetime supply purchase, there is always the next best thing! Maybe a years worth, but it might help the acquisition jitters.

sjedwardz said:
Can't really help as I've just started myself but I'm in a similar situation so interested in the replies.

Not too sure I could do a lifetime supply purchase, there is always the next best thing! Maybe a years worth, but it might help the acquisition jitters.

Yep, I just want to buy a year or 2's worth and then just forget about 'sampling' any further until the end of that period!

Since I started this about 18 months ago, I've got fed up of finding a blade I like and that its become unobtainium. So I set out with a new premise - to have enough blades that I like to last me until I expect to fall off my perch. I'm not quite there yet though.

How will you feel next year when you can't find "the best" blade because it's been discontinued - or worse production changed somehow and the blade turned to crud - and you have to put up with second/third/fourth/etc best for the sake of a tenner or so a year (assuming 100 blades lasts you a year)...

Ten years time when you're all reduced to shaving with Merkur blades, I'll be shaving with Astra Superior Platinums ($100+$45 post for 1100 from <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.barberdepots.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.barberdepots.com</a><!-- w --> when it was $2=£1) and Gillette Super Thins.

lol.

So, basically stock up is the message? Got it.

And what about all these. Shall I not bother:

Copied and pasted from first post:

Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette Bleues
Gillette Bleue Extra
Gillette Super Silver
Gillette 7'oclock - 3 different types - Yellow, black and green!
Treet Carbon Black Beauty
Treet Dura Sharp

Feather 'Black' See:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50-FEATHER-BLACK-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50-FEATHER-BLACK-</a><!-- m --> ... 3a536e3dab

Are any of the above blades close to being as good as Feathers/Astras/Iridiums in terms of sharpness and smootheness? I.e. Out of them, which would you definately recommend for me to try? Are there any that I have missed out that I should definately try?

Done a similar thing recently myself Sonny . I stuck with feathers in the main simply because they work so well. Decided to find some options for daily shave times which gave a decent shave and wouldn't irritate. in order on my list are:
For any shave going ATG
Feather- stocked and always happy with them
Super Iridiums - excellent
Gillette suprthins - excellent if i can get more of them else see above
Gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge - smooth an so far long lasting
For simple decent close shaves being presentable
indian wilkinson sword- surprised me how smooth and close these were
Red Personnas- like these especially on short stubble days

'Cos i like trying new blades out i also got a sampler and pick up the odd pack as and when of untried blades for when the mood takes- keeps things fun even if sometimes its painful

Luckily for you (and your good lady) your face is different to mine... but of that list, I'd be trying the Gillette Bleue Extra & the 3 Indian-made Gillette 7'oclock types (there is also a Russian-made 7 o'clock - it's green packaging and bears the same name as one of the non-green Indians) for sure.

For long-term storage I'd be wary of a carbon steel blade compared to a stainless one, but only from my own pessimistic point of view and on no evidence at all, just an instinct.

Andy said:
Done a similar thing recently myself Sonny . I stuck with feathers in the main simply because they work so well. Decided to find some options for daily shave times which gave a decent shave and wouldn't irritate. in order on my list are:
For any shave going ATG
Feather- stocked and always happy with them
Super Iridiums - excellent
Gillette suprthins - excellent if i can get more of them else see above
Gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge - smooth an so far long lasting
For simple decent close shaves being presentable
indian wilkinson sword- surprised me how smooth and close these were
Red Personnas- like these especially on short stubble days

'Cos i like trying new blades out i also got a sampler and pick up the odd pack as and when of untried blades for when the mood takes- keeps things fun even if sometimes its painful

This is my thinking too. Feathers/Swedes for ATG (which is only occasionally). For some reason I NEVER get any blood (nicks, tiny circles etc.) when going ATG with 'Swedes' but do so with others I have tried. Feathers and iridiums are good for ATG and daily shaves too, with the Feather going in a milder razor; a ball-end tech.

I want to get away from the constant sampling as I'm getting more pain than gain. Give it a month though, and i'm sure I'll be back in the game.

Thanks for the recommendations Andy and Hunny too + the head up on the steel blade storage.

So we have

Definates: Feather, Iridiu or Astra SP.
To Try before buy: Gillette Bleue Extra + All 3 (or 4 - Hunny says there's a Green Indian one) of the Gillette 7 o clock variety.

Why did they name it 7 o clock? As in 7 in the morning wakey-wakey time?

For me the 7 O'clock yellows are one of the best blades I have tasted. Pherma Sharp is very good too and not so expensive. I like a lot Shark blades and they are very cheap.

sonny said:
Hunny says there's a Green Indian one) of the Gillette 7 o clock variety.
Why did they name it 7 o clock? As in 7 in the morning wakey-wakey time?

Russian, not Indian - the 3 you mentioned are Indian + 1 Green Russian.

There was a razor & blade company called 7 o'clock - no idea why they did that - perhaps a play on the 5 o'clock shadow - their razors were so good you didn't get it until 7 o'clock?

Hunnymonster - Since you have half the worlds supply of blades stored in caves and groundholes around the country it would be good to know what tips you use for storing longterm. Ive got em in tins and put one of those silica packs you get in most boxes/packaging to try and keep the moisture at bay. These are in a bathroom cupboard though and have been wondering if thats not such a good place for them
Thoughts would be welcomed

+1 Was just about to post the same thing.
I had a look and the Super Iridiums are PTFE coates stainless Steel.

Corrected: So we have

Definates to order: Feather, Iridium Super or Astra SP.
To Try before buy: Gillette Bleue Extra + All 3 of the Gillette 7 o clock variety, especially the Yellow one.

Andy said:
Ive got em in tins and put one of those silica packs you get in most boxes/packaging to try and keep the moisture at bay.

Mostly they're stored in tupperware type boxes with as many silica gel packs as I could lay hands on. Every once in a while I plan to take out the silica packs and toast them in a low oven (70-80C) to reinvigorate them. They're stored in rooms that usually have a relative humidity of around 30-40% - not the bathroom.

Slow Shaving said:
For me the 7 O'clock yellows are one of the best blades I have tasted. Pherma Sharp is very good too and not so expensive. I like a lot Shark blades and they are very cheap.

You eat them :hungrig :hungrig :shock: :shock:

Back
Top Bottom