Help for a new boy

OK, so I'm new to this DE shaving lark, and so far so good.
As a rule I detest shaving, but I'm trying to look at this more as a relaxing experience, rather than the mundane and (sometimes) painful chore that it is. So with this in mind I'm thinking about my razor. Now when I started this I just went to boots and got myself a Wilkinson Sword Classic for less than a fiver, but it doesn't seem the strongest of razors and so to try and stop having to buy a replacement one every few months, I thinking about an upgrade to something more robust. I'm thinking of spending up to £20 - £25, so what would you chaps recommend?
I've looked around on e-bay but to be honest I wouldn't know what was good or not, so some advice would be great.
I have a selection of blades to play around with (thank you again ;) ) so it's really just the razor I'm thinking about.

:)

If you want a new (as in unused) razor - send a PM to PaulDog on here about a Feather Portable - it's a 3 piece, quite petite but also a stunner of a thing - knocks them out for about $10 delivered to your door. If nothing else it's a great travel razor, but well up to being used as a daily shaver.

If you want a vintage razor (especially a Gillette), Erwin (merwtje here) is the man, he's cornered the mainland European market in them :D

As a new D.E convert with that budget I'd go for a new razor from Merkur, Muhle or Jagger

Others can chip in but I think some good options are

Merkur 33c or 34c HD

Muhle R89 or R109

Edwin Jagger D.E

Hi M8,
Got to agree (yet again) with the ever helpful AntD on this one. I recently (couple of months ago) got a Muhle 89, which has now replaced my previous daily razor of some years standing, a Merkur long handled slant. The Muhle is a truly elegant piece of precision engineering which is both non aggresive and very capable of giving as smooth and close a shave as your skin & technique allow. It also falls nicely in2 the £20 - £25 price range.

Whatever you choose, best of luck and go for the one which appeals to you ......... then just enjoy !

JohnnyO.

Another vote for a Muhle or a Edwin Jagger 89 series. They have the same head, only the handles are different from one manufacturer to another.

Variable. I have a TTO Parker 90R (Connaught) here that was retired as soon as I got my first vintage Gillette.

I'm lucky - mine has even blade exposure (although it's still pretty massive) - but a slight over tightening leads to the doors pinging off (because they're too thin, so flex under stress, enough to ping off the pivots).

I know of two other people with the same model from the same supplier - both have uneven blade exposure in addition to the "Italian Job" doors.

I hear that the Parker 3 piece razors are ok though.

The Turn to Open Parker is the razor I wish I had had to begin wet shaving with some half century ago, however I feel that you'll probably outgrow it after a while. I say that because the one I got was excellent for getting shaved at half four in the morning still half asleep secure in the knowledge that it was laidback enough to never allow me to nick myself. It just wont give the closest of shaves, but apart from that they are a nice razor, my experience anyway.
JohnnyO.

Back
Top Bottom