Help Choosing A Camera

Right chaps, i need the combined help of TSR.

Basically i have a Kodak Z710, it died on me last month when i went up on the London Eye, changed the SD Card and it started working again, took it down by the river with my GF yesterday and same fault, changed the SD card again and working again !!!

Now the Camera is 5 years old now, so instead of messing around trying to get it looked at, i want to get another camera, now the problem is that i have various aftermarket Lens and Filters that i was starting to use with it, i don't have the need for a DSLR Camera but i dont want a basic compact camera, want a Decent one that i can use with all my bits and bobs, so need a some help finding a good Bridge Camera that has the Filter Thread that i can plug my bits in.

don't want to spend more that about £150, so i know that limits me quite a bit, been looking online and seen various Fuji, Olympus, Nikon ones but none have the thread to fit the extras....

any suggestions ?????????

I have a Fujifilm HS10. It was superseded by the HS20 at the end of last year. I've just had a quick search on eBay and you could pick one up for around your budget. It take a 58mm screw on filters and has a hotshoe.

James

Could you get a step up ring for your existing 52mm filters?

Well I formatted a card on my windows 7 and put it in the camera it had a delay starting when I switched on and took time between shots

I formatted the same card in the camera and it seems to work ok ??? Fast start up and no delay

I will formst the same card I had a problem with a few days ago in the camera and see if it works !

I have so many cheap old memory cards maybe I should invest in some decent ones

It does sound like it could be a memory card issue, but if you do want a camera I have just bought one of these for the misses.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-olympus-sz-14-silver-digital-camera/p1528963

It has a massive optical zoom, giving the equivalent range of 25 - 600mm and the image quality is great too.

It won't fit your extra lenses and filters, but what ones do you realistically need. with that zoom range I doubt any other lenses are required. The only filter that is required on a camera is really a polariser, all other filter effects can be achieved in software later.

Formatting in camera is reckoned to be best. If the cards are dying I'd get new ones sharpish. Good cards are very cheap. I've tended to stick with sandisk and not had any probs.......yet!

The Cannon Powershot range are excellent for the money. I have an older model (A720) and I just bought a SX150 for my good lady. TBH I'm now quite envious of her camera!

They are not the sexiest cameras in the world, they have good image quality and importantly (for me) give you full manual control over photo taking. If you really get into it you can hack Powershot cameras to using something called CHDK which gives you some amazing extra features. I don't think you'll find anything better for less than £150.

I normally shoot with a DSLR, but the Powershot never leaves my side when I'm out and the DSLR rig is too bulky.

As has been already said..give the cards a re-format..I do mine after every download, I format in the camera..( Canon G9 ) if I don't re-format, the capacity of the cards gradually reduces over time...a re-format fixes that..

+ 1 on Sandisk........At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, go for several smaller cards, say 1 or 2gig capacity, as opposed to a single massive capacity card...that way if the card does go down, you haven't lost your whole shoot...

Back
Top Bottom