help/advice on espresso brewing problem

Hi,

I've had a Dualit bean grinder for a couple of years and use it to grind my beans into a cafetiere. All good, and makes sufficiently good coffee for me to drink.

I recently got my (old) Krups Vivo 887 espresso machine out and into action. I replaced the filter basket for a non-pressurised one.

I'm using the 2-cup filter and fill 3/4 up (2 measures) and tamp quite firmly.

When the water is brewing through, some water seems to spill over the edge spilling coffee down the handle and onto the counter etc. Obviously this creates some mess, but more importantly indicates I'm doing something wrong.

Any baristas out there, with good advice?

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to replace with a Gaggia Classic - so thats not an option at the moment!
TIA
Simon

If its spilling over the top of the portafilter it may be that your group seal has gone. That's the rubber ring that the top of the basket pushes against when locked in. They harden and crack over time and need changed every so often. I'm not familiar with ur model of machine but I'm sure u could find a replacement online somewhere. They're usually not that hard to replace.

Thanks Neill, I'll take a look to see if thats the problem. Had to order a new basket as the original had gone missing, so a new seal sounds logical.

The seal looks ok, so I gave the whole area a good clean. Test run a few brews and the leaks are much less, still some overflow. I can live with it for the time being, but if it does get worse, then a new machine it is....

bigsimes said:
The seal looks ok, so I gave the whole area a good clean. Test run a few brews and the leaks are much less, still some overflow. I can live with it for the time being, but if it does get worse, then a new machine it is....

I have experienced something similar when the grind is too fine and tamped too hard, therefore making it harder for the water penetrate the coffee grinds. Maybe try tamping a little less and then if not successful, making the grind a little coarser

Jon

jds said:
bigsimes said:

I have experienced something similar when the grind is too fine and tamped too hard, therefore making it harder for the water penetrate the coffee grinds. Maybe try tamping a little less and then if not successful, making the grind a little coarser

Jon

It still shouldn't leak over the portafilter basket if the seal is good. If the grind is too fine you'll choke your machine - no coffee will flow and you'll hear the pump straining. Once you knock the switch off if its a machine with a solenoid valve it will release the pressure back out or if not it may spray out once the handle is released. Seals are cheap to buy and easy to replace usually. They need changed yearly-ish as they harden.

bigsimes said:

If you are thinking of a new machine a secondhand gaggia classic is a great place to start out. They go for 60-120 on eBay. They're simple machines and easy to modify.

Cheers chaps. Almost picked up a Gaggia Baby at the weekend, as it was reduced to £129 (ex display).

Mrs wasn't too enamored with the look of it though. Maybe a second-hand Classic might be a good option.

Problem is the Krups is discontinued, so getting parts is a problem.

Lose the beard said:
I picked up a Classic from Amazon Warehouse for about £120.00. As far as I could tell it was brand new.

Yeah, I think they're returns with minor problems that have been corrected. Think the price has gone up a bit since though but still a great deal. They're much cheaper new now than when I bought mine for 225.

Could still be the seal, if it's old and hard/dryish it doesn't seal correctly (removng old dirt maybe helped some though). If you take it out, you should be able to tell if it's stiff or gives when you press it between you fingers ...

Ok, after bit of faffing and the usual fleabay scouring, I've pulled the trigger on a Gaggia Baby.

This was on offer at my local Curry's for less than £130 - which after trawling the web looks like to be a really decent price. Cheapest google price seems to be £225 or thereabouts. So well chuffed.

Now sat drinking my first double espresso with a homemade goats cheese and red pepper muffin, lovingly baked by my wife yesterday. - nom nom nom

Back
Top Bottom