Hello everyone,
my name is Dario and I am a product design student.
I've always been interested in shaving, it's a daily activity that helps me feel clean and more productive.
I recently decided to bring this passion to my academic field and started researching about the safety razor (history,patents,ergonomics).
I personally use different razor types when I shave and choose them depending on the end result I want to achieve, but I thought that the safety razor would have represented a more interesting choice.
I was wondering if some experienced users from the forum would share with me some of their experiences regarding safety razors and why they use them instead of other known shaving solutions. I have yet to create a specific set of questions for this research, expect updates soon (possibly in a more appropriate section of the forum).
I'm happy to be a member and maybe learn something new! :)

Welcome Dario to TSR, our weird little corner of the internet. You'll look back in 18 months time and ponder how you came to ask questions but ended up with a wardrobe full of artisanal shaving soaps and thousands of pound poorer.

Welcome to TSR.
I personally use different razor types when I shave and choose them depending on the end result I want to achieve, but I thought that the safety razor would have represented a more interesting choice.
What are the different end results you wish to achieve from using different razors?
I want a very close comfortable shave from my daily shave; no designer stubble for me. The De razor has been the tool that gets me there.

Welcome! I think all the research you could possibly need is covered in the thousands of pages of forum conversations. My own attempt to summarise: shaving is a chore and done wrong can look dreadful, hurt at the time and be sore or irritating afterwards. Done well, it can be an interesting hobby, a new skill, painless, and feel great afterwards.

There are different aspects to it. I collect and use mostly vintage DE safety razors. I have a couple of single edge razors but (that's) a recent thing. I have maybe 15 vintage Gillette razors covering the history of that brand. That part is pure collecting, a hobby like stamp collecting. It's fun to understand the history and evolution of the product and I spend many happy hours checking eBay for interesting acquisitions.

I use mostly the same few razors, with my favourite being the Gillette Black Beauty. It's only my favourite because I don't like to use my very favourites - older Gillette adjustable - because I like to keep them pristine. One of the other Gillettes was made the year and quarter of my birthday and I had it restored in New Zealand. I am terrified of dropping it!

I used to hate shaving. I decided to try DE shaving in some desperation, but once I tried it, I found that with care I could get great results and it was fun. It also seemed a little bit daring. Now I could also shave with a cartridge razor and no doubt also get good results, but I don't see the need.

I am sure you will pick up all these points and more as you read the forums. There's great input here for product design research.

There is also a lot of insight into male culture in (mostly) Britain today. I'm regularly hugely proud of the way other forum members behave. It seems to me that the overwhelming majority of members of this forum are decent, thoughtful, kind human beings. I am heartened by the way people here interact and proud to be associated with them.

Back
Top Bottom