Hello

Ids

Just joined the forum, noob to DE shaving starting with:

Edwin Jagger BBB
Edwin Jagger 89L
Derby blades
Proraso soap

Had my first DE shave yesterday and to be honest it left my face a mess with razor burn mainly round my neck and not as smooth as the Azor razor i've been using, i've watched the mantic videos and i'm sure it just a case of getting my style pinned down.

Had my second shave today twice WTG and one XTG, much better but still irritation on my neck but not as bad, slightly sore and not very close, I did notice the derby blades seem to tug slightly, could this mean they don't suit me?

Does anyone know of any shops in the Lincoln or blandford Forum area that sells alum blocks, i've found loads online but like to buy locally?

And lastly, hello to all

Welcome

If you can find an Indian supermarket/cash n carry there's a fair chance you might find some cheap alum blocks.

Derby's can be a bit rough and study the guides in Shaving help.

Thanks,

I've been going through the guides and i think its just a case of practice.

I'm going to try the Tesco own brand blades next just because their easily available but i'll also be ordering the sampler pack :lol:

Hi and very welcome Ids. As others have said, some get on well with Derbys, others (including me) don't. If you can manage it then Damian's advice about trying for a sample pack of various blades is good & the site he mentioned is well regarded as a good supplier ( just got 100 SE blades from him this week). Maybe if you're having a bit of irritation it would be handy to omit the against the grain passes meantime, just until you've got the exact mapping of your face sorted out. Most of us have patches of beard growth which lie in different directions on our faces. I've found that (for me at least) creams can be much easier to get a rich lather with as against soaps when you are starting. And a lot of people like an after shave balm rather than an alcohol based splash on irritated skin. Witch Hazel is also a good standby as an astringent & mild disinfectant.

I'm guessing that you'll get a lot of advice from others on the Forum, much of it different .......... which just goes to emphasise how individual shaving & kit really is. What you find works for you will be best .......... just have fun finding out what that is !

Happy Daze.

JohnnyO. :shave

What ho Ids, welcome to the forum. ;)

Tesco blades are absolutely fine. As you say, it's all about honing your individual technique; walk before you run etc. You will get there, keep at it and don't hesitate to ask anyone here if you need any advice - there's no such thing as a daft question. We've all been at the point in the learning curve that you now find yourself. As you say Mantic's YouTube stuff is very helpful too plus you have a very good range of gear to learn with.

Keep calm and carry on!

Hi,

I was looking and feeling how my beard grows and mostly it N-S except on my neck where it seems to grow in all directions so I don't think theres much im going to be able to do there. I'm going to take it easy at the weekend to give my face a chance to heal, not much I can do during the week I have to shave!

I was looking at an alum block for my aftershave treatment, I thought the proraso was cream until it turned up, i'll probabily get some creams ordered at the weekend.

thanks for all the advice

Back
Top Bottom