Hello

Hi all. French blade directed me to the welcome forum so guess I'm expected to say hello to you all!

Been using the DE blades for about 18 months after irritation of the skin and wallet with cartridge blades.
Started with a Parker 91R which one day snapped when unscrewing so ordered myself what I thought (and still hope) to be a great all-rounder for the money, a Merkur 34C. Much better than their blades in my opinion, and seems well engineered. The matt red finish on the handle looks great but there're no grippy bits so it can get a bit slippery.
I just have the one razor (shock horror) but loads of different kinds of blades (small quantities usually. I have already posted about my collection)

I have convinced one friend to switch - he has a short-handled Merkur of some description (I say short, mine is long so his is probably normal length. This is starting to sound rather phallic so I'll end this line of conversation here.). He only uses Derby blades which I find really sharp and cheap but seem to make my skin incredibly sore (this is a frequent rant of mine I'm afraid, so I'll also stop this line of conversation here)

Thanks for bearing with me and hello to you all.

Regards,
NotTheStig

Hi NTS!

Welcome!
Got a 34C too, a good performer, but not my tool of choice, I find it lacks "soul", like most modern razors.
Play with the soaps, I find that the same blade & different soap, makes a hell of a difference :D

Welcome & enjoy the banter!

Max

Aside from the Merkurs are the Gillette DE handles I believe are their razors from the other side of the line..good to compare in my opinion!

Blades

FrenchBlade said:
Hi NTS!

Welcome!
Got a 34C too, a good performer, but not my tool of choice, I find it lacks "soul", like most modern razors.
Play with the soaps, I find that the same blade & different soap, makes a hell of a difference :D

Max
Thanks (to you and everybody else) for the warm welcome.
I'm desperately trying to avoid looking at any other razors. My girlfriend thinks it's weird enough that I have my stash of all these blades. She's tried only 3 - an Israeli, a Merkur and an Astra blue - and got annoyed that she cut herself, so is back to disposables.
I like hearing about the Fatboys, the 1904s, the HD (isn't that what I've got but with a shorter handle?) and am tempted to try a butterfly fitting and an adjustable, but for financial and practical reasons I'll stick to what I have.
For now.
Maybe.

FrenchBlade said:
Hi NTS!

Welcome!

Max
By the way, I have tried:
Wilkinson soap (in the plastic dark blue bowl - watery and I feel the burn more)
Erasmic soap (in the black bowl - thicker but still not quite what I wanted, but would buy again)
Ingram shaving cream (nice menthol and lathers quite well)
Real Shaving Co (from pound shop - seen in another more upmarket high street vendor with a chemist background for £5!) - blade glides really well and little burn
Bluebeard Shaving Cream (seen it mentioned here). Clearly on these experiences I'm not in a position to comment on the higher end but for what it's worth it lathers amazingly well, feels thick and has a great smell. Bought before you got free shaving brushes with them. Would buy again but price puts me off.

Got to try some of the legends like Proraso shaving cream, Taylors and Mitchell's wool fat.

Welcome chap!

Get yersen some Palmolive soap (stick/cream – both!). Cheap as you like and ubiquitous.

Enjoy the road to madness!

Lipsy

Back
Top Bottom