Hello to the forum

I'm Phil, a Yorkshireman living in London and have been wet shaving for nearly 35 years with various kit - starting from Wilkinson Sword Retractor disposables (remember those?) and then three different cartridge systems (often changed due to cartridge shortage).

In recent months I have ditched cartridges (and run down my emergency supply of disposables) and am now alternating, based on blade life, between a Leaf razor and a QShave adjustable DE. I have also stopped using canned foam/gel and even tube gel in favour of proper shaving soap. I own two synthetic brushes (a brandless Chinese one and a Bulldog). I make use of a Naked Armor stainless steel scuttle.

I have a variety of blades and will work my way through them steadily. I score each shave out of 10, based on whether it takes excessive passes (I consider 4 plus pickups the normal maximum and often reach DFS with 2) and how the alum test fares, and discard the score when an unacceptable shave results. It helps me find the blade life, efficiency, cost per shave and correct setting of the adjustable razor. (today was the second shave with an Asco red - not a blade I will ever intentionally buy but one sent by mistake by RBC - I settled for it and squared things up on the next order - score 8, starting from a setting of 2.5 and up to 3 for the second pass and 3.5 for the pickups.)

I am relatively new to using a DE razor but am finding it reasonably simple. I may even consider getting a better one at some point. I do have the slight challenge of Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease (a hereditary neuropathy that causes muscle wasting) to deal with, but as part of dealing with that, do not have real feet any more.

Outside all of this I am a computer expert but currently work as an administrator in a busy NHS hospital. I travel frequently, mostly to Derbyshire where my partner lives. I also like to cook - I can handle most common meals and also do some fancy baking when time allows.

I am happy to share experiences (on the right part of the forum) on any of what I've mentioned.

A warm welcome to our shave obsessed corner of the Internet Phil. You're in good company, there are folks here who have a list of every blade they've ever used with ratings, and honestly I'm in awe of such sensitivity and knowledge - if I have a bad shave my first thought is that it's probably me. Hope you'll find it educational as well as convivial here with us.

I'm Phil, a Yorkshireman living in London and have been wet shaving for nearly 35 years with various kit - starting from Wilkinson Sword Retractor disposables (remember those?) and then three different cartridge systems (often changed due to cartridge shortage).

In recent months I have ditched cartridges (and run down my emergency supply of disposables) and am now alternating, based on blade life, between a Leaf razor and a QShave adjustable DE. I have also stopped using canned foam/gel and even tube gel in favour of proper shaving soap. I own two synthetic brushes (a brandless Chinese one and a Bulldog). I make use of a Naked Armor stainless steel scuttle.

I have a variety of blades and will work my way through them steadily. I score each shave out of 10, based on whether it takes excessive passes (I consider 4 plus pickups the normal maximum and often reach DFS with 2) and how the alum test fares, and discard the score when an unacceptable shave results. It helps me find the blade life, efficiency, cost per shave and correct setting of the adjustable razor. (today was the second shave with an Asco red - not a blade I will ever intentionally buy but one sent by mistake by RBC - I settled for it and squared things up on the next order - score 8, starting from a setting of 2.5 and up to 3 for the second pass and 3.5 for the pickups.)

I am relatively new to using a DE razor but am finding it reasonably simple. I may even consider getting a better one at some point. I do have the slight challenge of Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease (a hereditary neuropathy that causes muscle wasting) to deal with, but as part of dealing with that, do not have real feet any more.

Outside all of this I am a computer expert but currently work as an administrator in a busy NHS hospital. I travel frequently, mostly to Derbyshire where my partner lives. I also like to cook - I can handle most common meals and also do some fancy baking when time allows.

I am happy to share experiences (on the right part of the forum) on any of what I've mentioned.

Welcome to the forum Phil. If you ever have the time, post up your day's shave in the Shave of the Day sub forum.

Back
Top Bottom