Hello from Witshire (nearly Somerset)

Hello all.

I'm coming up 60 and retire from the British Army very soon.

When I first started shaving it was with an electric razor - twice a week was plenty in the beginning.

By the time I was 20, although I had an average anglo-saxon beard, I was fed up with my Philishave and took to wet shaving.

I bought a pretty standard butterfly Gillette from Boots and the latest aerosol. Of course it was an improvement, but I soon graduated to a brush and Old Spice Soap in a mug.

Later i took to twin bladed disposables and a gel. Next the three bladed monsters, but I never abandoned the brush.

Many years later I picked up a comment on some men's health forum and did a few Google Searches. I watched the Mantic Videos, joined a few forums and started experimenting.

I almost always use a Merkur Slant these days with the Palmolive cream in the green tube or my own mix. I take a Palmolive stick and a Wilkinson soap (in the blue tub), grate them together with a cheese grater and press them into a shaving mug. Very cheap and very creamy.

I regret I have used the last of my "Swedish" Gillette blades and can find no more. Feathers are the next best - as sharp but not as smooth. I am hunting for alternatives.

I might have had an average Anglo-Saxon beard when I was 20, but at 60 it is full of touch white hairs.

Very soon I will move with my wife and daughter to Southampton where our son lives and works. Having established a UK base in that Southampton flat we will retire to Cyprus.

I can get Palmolive cream there - and the Nivea in the blue tube, which is quite nice.

(Mods please note I got no confirmation by email that my membership was activated, or I would have posted earlier.)

Welcome to the forum. Please check the spam folder as sometimes the confirmation email lands in there.
As for blades have you tried Kai's?
We did a group buy previously and they are reported to be as sharp as a feather (sounds strange when you read that statement back lol) but smoother.I haven't tried Feathers yet but in my opinion the Kai is very smooth and very sharp.Hope you enjoy Southampton and Cyprus.

Welcome

Kais are good, you might also like to try the Iridium Super they will probably both satisfy your'e criteria.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.connaughtshaving.com/razorblades.html">http://www.connaughtshaving.com/razorblades.html</a><!-- m -->

Edit: I had a contact of a UK supplier of Swedes but I can't seem to find it at the moment, maybe another member has it also?

Welcome to our world - luckily loads of stuff is available online and Cyprus has a postal service :D so it all else fails you can get it that way...

Another possibility to try would be Shark blades - to me they're like smoother Feathers - and dirt cheap in comparison ($17/100 compared to $30/100). They are a bit shorter lived in comparison but they last over half what a feather does.

pdmayhew said:
Look after your Kai blade stocks as these are no longer in production.

Interesting to know, after Rev bought a few packs in a group buy I quite liked them so was meaning to order some more. There seems to be so many blades going out of production, all the good ones as well.

Boab said:
Wonder if he will combine postage? Could be worth buying a batch.

Postage and packaging $5.99
Each Additional Item +$3.79

$2.20 (£1.50ish) saving - which of course with my standard pessimistic downer on everything hat (I picked up this vibe from the indigenous neighbours :D ) on is less saving than you'd get posting 100 on... and more likely to be nabbed by HMRC for £8 handling fee and VAT of course

I sent him a message last night , I checked and he responded offering not a bad deal. The 100 pack is $25, if I took four he would give me than at $104 shipped ($1 shipping per pack), 300 for $78 shipped. Any less and he does the normal $5.99 postage for first item then $3.79.

I decided I wanted two hundred so I just ordered 400. I will make up to two packs (2x100) avaiable to the forum members in whatever quantities they want. If no takers I am happy to keep them.

Will post on the buy/sell when they arrive.

Back
Top Bottom