Hello from South Yorkshire

Started safety-razor shaving rather late in life, and after three months feel I am just starting to make progress. According to neighbours hardly anyone wet shaves any more and those that do use a bic disposable or a modern cartridge. Hmm. The razor I use almost all the time is a 1970s (?) Gillette Tech with a handle taken from a £3 razor bought on Ali-express. Still trying different blades and yet to find my huckleberry.

As someone said, 'you can do it the hard way, or the easy way'.

Like a dipstick I did it the hard way and bought sample packs of blades, 100 at a time, perhaps 10 were good, 60 were useable 30 were rubbish. I bought shaving gels, soaps and creams, another rabbit hole. I bought razors that were not right for me, my face looked like a butchers shop window.

The easy way is to take advice from what you read on here and do not be in a rush.

You already use my favourite razor, a Tech also from the 70s, mine has a very short handle, my other far more expensive razors are unused. My goal is never to be cut and achieve a good shave.

Blades are a personal choice and surprisingly varied, follow best advice. I have settled on Dorco Titan or Prime after using 40+ blades, I bought mine from Amazon at 100 blades for under £5, they give me 5 good shaves a blade.

Soaps and creams are personal, I tend to chop and change, a very popular one is from Yorkshire company Michells Wool Fat, right now my shaving cream is Palmolive shave cream which is £1.80 at Morrisons.

Brushes are another very personal area, each to their own, some will not buy badger brushes on ethical grounds and thankfully synthetic brushes have come a long way, I will get shot down in flames for this but I cannot see the benefit in spending a large amount of money on an expensive brush when all I want is a face covered in lather, I concede that expensive brushes usually look better on a shelf, as I say, personal choice.

Post shave for me is just some moisturising cream, nothing flash, I am happy with cocoa butter, Palmers do one which is £4.30 at Superdrug, it will last you months and does the job very well.

Edwin Jaggers are in Sheffield on Morpeth Street, they have a shop apparently, if I was in the area I would be tempted to call in,

I shave on a budget, as you can tell, we are all different.

Best wishes for a happy New Year and welcome to the Shaving Room.

Last edited:
Started safety-razor shaving rather late in life, and after three months feel I am just starting to make progress. According to neighbours hardly anyone wet shaves any more and those that do use a bic disposable or a modern cartridge. Hmm. The razor I use almost all the time is a 1970s (?) Gillette Tech with a handle taken from a £3 razor bought on Ali-express. Still trying different blades and yet to find my huckleberry.
Sheffield resident saying a big hi. You're going to love this very welcoming group.

Thanks for the welcome, guys. Sorry not have checked back sooner. I've been down with a nasty cold. One upshot being, I did my last shave on 5 days of growth! Normally I shave every 2 - 3 days. The 70s tech coped will enough (one pass WTG + touch ups). I am in no way trying for BBS and often touch up with an electric razor a few hours later. These days I rarely if ever get razor burn or weepers but a degree of soreness in a few predictable areas is normal for me.

Last edited:
Post shave for me is just some moisturising cream, nothing flash, I am happy with cocoa butter, Palmers do one which is £4.30 at Superdrug, it will last you months and does the job very well.
I use Palmolive more often than not (tho I have a box of others - the advice not to splash out on a load of stuff too early is good - unfortuately I haven't followed it). Will check out the Palmers. I am wondering about shea butter. My current fav is a hand cream called "Flexitol" from Weldricks - it is quite expensive, but more soothing on a sore face than say Nivea Balm which I don't really rate

I use Palmolive more often than not (tho I have a box of others - the advice not to splash out on a load of stuff too early is good - unfortuately I haven't followed it). Will check out the Palmers. I am wondering about shea butter. My current fav is a hand cream called "Flexitol" from Weldricks - it is quite expensive, but more soothing on a sore face than say Nivea Balm which I don't really rate

You might find that shea butter is a bit too greasy, I have bought some in the past but not for the face, I only know Flexitol as a foot product.

If you are suffering with a sore face then you may want to adjust your technique, perhaps less pressure?

Best o'luck.

Hail and a warm welcome to TSR.
Dog Smile GIF

Back
Top Bottom