Hello from Northern Ireland

Hi all

I am a long time lurker here and on ATG. I have bought a few things through BST but I have mostly used the forum for research purposes.

I have been DE shaving for about 8 years now and it is amazing how it went from a daily chore to now being a hobby, something to look forward to and a relaxing routine. I was attracted by the lesser environmental impact over foam in a can and disposable razors, better skin care and the lower long term cost (although that is debatable by the time you disappear down the rabbit hole).

I started with a Wilkinson Sword brush and soap and looking back it is amazing I stuck at it considering how many better alternatives there are! I still have the brush but I am not a fan. I used an Edwin Jagger razor but about 10 months ago I passed it onto a friend who expressed an interest (and now uses it daily along with some soaps I passed on). For the last three years I have shaved with my late grandpa's old Gillette which is a lovely piece of heritage.

I have tried a number of hard soaps and really liked OSP and I recently acquired about five more to play with.

That's enough for now but I may pop back with some more.

Ross

Part 2

So after a bit of digging it turns out my grandpa's razor is Gillette No.58 aluminium from 1953 (https://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1953 (Y1) No58 aluminum.JPG)! Impressive that it is in such good nick.

I am about to pull the trigger on a Pearl Flexi and a Parker Semi Slant as I would like to try different types of razors. I think I am in for a shock when it comes to the weight of the Flexi! I will continue to use my normal blades; Persona Platinum.

I use a Yaqi synthetic brush and love it, I am tempted to get something else but I really don't need it. I bowl lather in a Crabtree and Evelyn wooden bowl and a bit more on my face.

I have converted one friend to the world of DE shaving, I have tried with a few more and been met with quizzical looks or "what I do works for me, I can't be bothered learning something new/different". Little do they know what they are missing out on. Next up is my dad who I am going to try to get interested. For years he used the cheapest electric razor which from what I remember plucked each hair out individually and was agonising to use.

As mentioned above I have recently acquired a number of OSP soaps to add to my Bay Rum and Sandalwood (OSP), Crabtree and Evelyn Moroccan Myrrh, MWF, a few Signature soaps, C&E West Indian Lime cream, One Blade lavender cream (glorious scent).

I am just starting to get into splashes but it may be expensive to do so....

Welcome from me too, I thought I recognised the nick. My dad used some awful Braun electric and I have no idea what my grandfather used, I think it would have been nice to have grandpop's razor for sentimental reasons. All my vintage razors were bought.

Back
Top Bottom