Hello from London

I have been shaving with a straight razor for about five years now, but often only shave once a week. I use two different razors, both 6/8": a TI with an "Art of Shaving" branding and an inherited vintage Sheffield razor in horn scales with a War Department stamp, meaning it can't be later than the first half of the 20th Century. Could it have been a military issue to my father at the start of the second world war? The first has a very hollow grind, the second less so. I had to do quite a bit of work on stones with the vintage razor to remove some chips in the blade but it is now useable. The TI gives the better shave I think. I have a two sided leather strop - the rough side is dressed with paste and the smooth is not. I use both sides every time.

It has taken me a long time to learn how to get around all of my face without cutting myself or having to resort to the safety razor to finish off in certain areas, especially around the chin. I still use the safety razor for a second cut if I want a smooth finish, but I can now complete the first with the straight alone. I know a second cut against the grain can be done with the straight, and I have tried it a few times, but I am not yet comfortable doing so.

Poor bathroom lighting, mirror set up and problems with spectacles misting up have bugged me but I am now so used to shaving that I do it mostly without wearing my glasses even though I can't really see what I am doing. I put them on for the final trim.

Tom Hanks Hello GIF

Welcome :)

You up to speed on good soaps? I guess after a few years you've probably figured that out.

Like you I usually only do a with-the-grain (WTG) pass. Maybe occasionally a second across-the-grain (XTG) pass, but never against-the-grain (ATG). You need a really sharp blade for ATG. The best edge I can hone is still pretty mild.

Back
Top Bottom