Hello from Ipswich

Hi all,
Been wet shaving with a single blade for over 10 years but the blade in question has been embedded in a plastic Bic disposable. Today I used a double edged razor for the first time.
I bought a 1965 Gillette Slim adjustable, so I had the opportunity of dialing it down to it's most gentle. It's got an Israeli Personna blade in it from my local supermarket. Not the sharpest blade in the world but I fully expected to take lumps out of myself! However at the lowest possible setting it still performed better than my Bic of the previous day's shave and with no blood loss at all, so I'm a happy shaver. Goin'o try one setting up tomorrow!

Welcome!

That's the way to go. You'll soon get used to the DE. Now that you have a heavier razor, just let the weight of the razor do the work with no pressure from you. That's the trick really.

Rod

Thanks for the replies guys.

I haven't dared apply any pressure at all with the razor so that's probably why I am wholly nick free for the first time in my life. Fear is clearly the path to pain free shaving :-D

I'd love to use a straight/cut throat razor but I'm a natural day dreamer and I fear a moments absence in the morning could seriously curtail my day ;-) so while I'm shaving myself it'll have to be safety first.

You're right in that the most ecologically sensitive position to take regarding shaving is almost certainly to let it all grow out, but I think I'd consume an impossibly vast quantity of anti itching products thus polluting the world in countless other ways, so the beards got to go! :)

Hi & very welcome E.Shaver. The Slim & blade combo you have at the moment are a very forgiving & comfortable introduction to DE shaving. Relax & enjoy getting to know a very nice wee razor indeed & console yourself with the thought that whilst the combination of slivers of metal fused into a plastic handle are virtually impossible to recycle, as in your previous throway razors ; the individual metal DE or SE blades are very suitable candidates for recovery & re use. They're also economical if, as suggested, that is also a motivator.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Arrowhead said:
Looks like we'll have to make a project of nagging you to get a cut throat razor then.

Well they are the most environmentally friendly way of shaving. Not only do they use up few resources over your lifetime of shaving, you spend a fortune on more and more straights leaving you unable to jet around the world on carbonicious holidays. :icon_razz:

Its funny, because if I was less clumsy I'd have straight razor in a heart beat but in terms of environmentalism, traveling at high speed in a large van the 13 and a bit miles between my house and my local general hospital probably causes at least a half dozen penguins to slip into the ocean from their melting ice flows. For the sake of the sinking penguins man!

ecoshaver said:
Its funny, because if I was less clumsy I'd have straight razor in a heart beat but in terms of environmentalism, traveling at high speed in a large van the 13 and a bit miles between my house and my local general hospital probably causes at least a half dozen penguins to slip into the ocean from their melting ice flows. For the sake of the sinking penguins man!

Yep, and if it's Ipswich Hospital you will inevitably heat up the atmosphere by a few degrees fuming at the shocking service they often provide. :mad:

Yes they have areas in which they could improve ;-)

Incidentally, the eco was indeed originally supposed to be economy though I'd say it's just as applicable to ecology.

The irony is, my previous annual spend on Bic razors was about a tenner a year. I've spent more than twice that buying a razor and am about to spend nearly 3 times that on a brush. What's more I've been eyeing up the range of Harris soaps.

Perhaps I should claim the eco was ecological after all :-|

Back
Top Bottom