Hello from Horsham

Tim

Good Morning All

I have been reading a lot of the posts on here since last October when Paul from Connaught pointed me in this direction and I thought it was time to say hello.

I stumbled across DE shaving purely by accident whilst looking for boar hair brushes on the net. I had always assumed that the cartridge razor must have been an improvement over the DE razor due to the virtual disappearance from the high street of DE blades.

Having read a lot of advice on here and with help from Paul at Connaught I settled on the Merkur 34C and numerous soaps / creams / blades. I have been using the 34C since October and it has transformed my shaving experience. The shave is a vast improvement although my previous technique of aggressively scrapping against the grain from the outset could not have helped. Most pleasing has been the change from shaving being a chore to an enjoyable experience.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice, it has certainly sped up the learning process so far

Cheers

Tim

Tim said:
I had always assumed that the cartridge razor must have been an improvement over the DE razor due to the virtual disappearance from the high street of DE blades.

As you are no doubt aware by now, this disappearance in favour of newfangled 'shaving systems' was a process driven entirely by patent expiration / monetary motives.

Hiya Tim. The 34C is a top razor. It's the one I started out with, and it's still my go-to razor.

henkverhaar said:
As you are no doubt aware by now, this disappearance in favour of newfangled 'shaving systems' was a process driven entirely by patent expiration / monetary motives.
Yeah because DE shaving has saved me a fortune... :cry:

Thanks for the welcome

henkverhaar wrote:

Yeah because DE shaving has saved me a fortune...

If I remember correctly it was Fido who said that part of the justification for taking up DE shaving was the potential savings. Like most people here I have already amassed a collection and more than spent any saving. My children also find it hilarious that I now spend more time in the bathroom than their mother :D

I am trying to sort out the hardware first before making too many changes to the routine although I have introduced a bit of a rotation amongst the soaps and creams. I will stick with the Merkur 34C, which I have found to be an excellent razor as I continue to narrow down my blade selection.

Welcome, you've been lurking on here for a while!

Have you seen Paul's other website (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://closeshave.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://closeshave.org.uk/</a><!-- m -->)? A great way to sample products.
Welcome, you've been lurking on here for a while!

I have found it very useful learning from the experiences of people on here and the guides that have been put together, it must have saved years of trial and error.

I will definitely use the sample service that Paul provides. My original order of supplies included four tubs of Taylor’s cream which is a lot of cream to get through simply to try them out. I intend to try all the Taylor’s creams

Get stuck into the debates mate

I will try to contribute but forgive me if I do not appear in writing too often as I am only just beginning

cheers

Tim

Back
Top Bottom