Hello from Cambridge

Hi,

I've used an electric razor for the past twenty years and stumbled across Mantic's videos a year ago on a cycling forum http://www.lfgss.com/thread9092.html. Three weeks ago, the foil and battery on my razor were both on the way out, so I re-watched a load of Mantic's videos, poked around this place for recommendations and decided to get a Merkur 34C, brush and blade sampler from Connaught. I don't think that I'll be going back to electric.

I've noticed that the track behind Mantic's blade is completely free of lather, but even playing with blade angle my tracks are often covered by a thin layer of lather, sometimes with parallel lines within them (presumably from the fluting on the blade guard, which means the blade angle must be too steep on these occasions). I'm using Palmolive cream and adding more water leaves a much cleaner track; is this a well-known indicator of overly dry lather? I couldn't find anything by searching on here.

This forum had been a great resource for me finding my feet; thank you!

Hi there, welcome to TSR! :D I wouldn't get too worried about the lather left behind as you shave. The main thing is to enjoy it and reduce any discomfort you may get after shaving. Try different concentrations of lather to see how much water you can add to get the best shave. Some prefer a more watery lather while others seem to like great thick Father Christmas beard lather. And one other variable is the cream itself. Stick with the Palmolive for a while then try others to see what you like best!

Hi panzanella. Welcome.

I also wouldn't worry about the lather track (it's probably blade angle), as long as your removing the beard without irritation. I find that the sound of the shave is a good indicator when I've got the angle right. Hard to explain, it's more pronounced using the Futur, but it's there also in the HD. You can almost hear the hair being cut.

antdad said:
Don't be tempted to J'oliverfy it. Ripe tomatoes, red onion, stale bread, basil and good condiments that's it.

I presume the quality of the ingredients is essential here as there's nowhere to hide. Perhaps I'll wait until next year and use home-grown tomatoes. Er...should I be moving this over the the Food section? :?

It's a great way of not wasting bread, but it disappears so quickly in our house, more often than not I'll buy a dedicated loaf and let it go stale deliberately.

Pig Cat is right about it needing proper red toms, the insipid standard supermarket jobs will not do it justice; supermarket vine ripened cherry or plums tomatoes are a lot better but pricey. It's hard to beat home grown though.

Hello and welcome to TSR! Those lather tracks probably are to do with your shaving angle, but it's not something I'd fret about too much. Give it a few weeks and you'll probably realise that they've disappeared without you noticing.

Back
Top Bottom