Hello from another noob.

Hello.
Fr. Ted here (you may have bumped into me if you frequent certain old budget car motoring forums).

Bit of a noob, but also a bit of an oldie if that makes sense.

I used to use a Souplex DE which started out life as a raxor we (I) used to use for pubic shaves when working in general surgery at Wythenshawe back in the 80's - my razor was retired from a life of shaving old chaps and suitably autoclaved and then pressed into service shaving my chin (prior to that I had a Gillette G1000).
The NHS now use some quite horrible blue plastic DE things that dont last one pass on your average short and curly shave.

I lost this a couple of years back in a house move and went to using Gillette Mach 3's - which were fine, until I came across another Souplex recently. Which I foolishly lost two weekends back whilst camping (not having a lot of luck with the Souplex here).

2875__big.jpg

I have just bought a Merkur 42 to tide me over, but dont really get on with it so Im going to offer it for trade and try a tech headded razor all being well - however I have also taken the plunge and ordered an Ikon Buldog handled OC headed razor - so watch this space.

Currently using some Gillette 7 O'Clock blades which I rate very highly, though 3 shaves is their limit I think.
I alternate between some Taylors Gentlemans fragrance soap applied with a bristle brush and Sommersets shaving oil.

Anyway, now you know almost as much about me as I do myself.

Thank you for all your warm welcomes.
Im actually a very bristly chinned nurse, not a priest. Fr Ted is my user name on a variety of forums and fora.

Just for the record the money was "resting" in that account before being moved on....

One quick question - what does PIF mean? I have had a google but it seems to relate either to old 1960's Public Information Films, or some file format for Adobe.

Thanks

Father Ted said:
Thank you for all your warm welcomes.
Im actually a very bristly chinned nurse, not a priest. Fr Ted is my user name on a variety of forums and fora.

Just for the record the money was "resting" in that account before being moved on....

One quick question - what does PIF mean? I have had a google but it seems to relate either to old 1960's Public Information Films, or some file format for Adobe.

Thanks

PIF - 'pay it forward' . A freebie ,with the wish that the receiver might also at some stage do the same.

Hi Kevin,
Until quite recently surgery of any description would require body hair to be removed ( research done since the mid 90's suggests that its actually caused more post op infections than it was supposed to prevent and so the practice, whilst not entirely abandoned was scaled down a lot and depilatory creams used instead for large areas of hair removal - such as open heart surgery and vein harvesting).

Where I used to work we used Souplex razors with Gillette branded blades - the blades were placed in a sharps bin and the razors sent for sterilisation by autoclave and reused.
Then came more H&S stuff and nonsense and the Souplex razors were retired (quietly binned) and we started using disposable DE razors. Which were quite naff and lasted one pass if you were lucky. I believe they use fixed head disposables these days, but as I work in a different area now I wouldnt know.

Anyway, my Souplex was one such ex Willy Barber razor which became my daily. I think the wife binned it when we moved house, I seemed to "lose" a lot of things back then.

So, no not a gag, if you had surgery back in the 80's you probably got your bits shaved with a Souplex. Before that it wasnt uncommon for the willy barber to use a straight bladed cut throat :eek:

Got my Ikon Bulldog open comb razor yesterday and loaded it up with a Gillette 7 O'clock yellow (as mentioned elsewhere).

First shave this morning and I am very very impressed.

It weighs as much as the Moon so very little pressure was needed. I used KoS oil only, no soap (mainly because I find soap too drying for my skin) and had a very very satisfying two pass shave on my stubble.
And absolutely no shredding my face (unlike the Merkur 41).

So far very very impressed.

I wonder if these will be "the sought after" razor in 100 years?

Back
Top Bottom