Hello everyone...

I've recently got into straight razor shaving after a friend gave me a razor that he'd restored, nothing fancy but it seems to do the job!
I was lacking confidence initially, especially after the first attempt, however that soon healed and some practice at stropping paid didvdends!
I was still a little apprehensive over the next few shaves as the razor didn't seem as sharp as I thought it should be, so back to my friends for a little more honing.
A bit better, then after a bit more reading, I bought a Thuringian stone and this morning, having a bit of time to myself, gave 75 laps, gradually reducing the slurry to nil.
What a revelation! My first two-pass shave, with only one tiny nick! (still had to finish off with the Gillette :oops: )

Still reading up, still need a few more bits and pieces and yesterday got a brand new Genco from the U.S.A. for £28 :D
Just found the Revisor site, and it's Fathers' day soon! :D :D

I'm looking forward to perfecting this art and collecting some nice kit along the way!

Ian

Hi & welcome Ian PaintP.
I spent ever so long just shaving my cheeks with an open razor and doing the rest with my DE before I ventured onto the "trickier" areas. You seem to be doing gr8, keep it up m8.
JohnnyO.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

I've been reading on here and other forums and something has cropped up in several places that I find quite amusing- saving money! Ha!
There's quotes of people saying "I won't be spending any more money on cartridges or aerosol foam....."

I've read on here of someone who has £300 worth of hones alone! Thats without the razors themselves, brushes, soaps, etc.... ££££s!! :eek:

I didn't really think about saving any money on my shaving, I just wanted something different, a bit more traditional. I'm sure from what I've read here most of you think the same.

cheers,

Ian

paintpot said:
Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

I've been reading on here and other forums and something has cropped up in several places that I find quite amusing- saving money! Ha!
There's quotes of people saying "I won't be spending any more money on cartridges or aerosol foam....."

I've read on here of someone who has £300 worth of hones alone! Thats without the razors themselves, brushes, soaps, etc.... ££££s!! :eek:

I didn't really think about saving any money on my shaving, I just wanted something different, a bit more traditional. I'm sure from what I've read here most of you think the same.

cheers,

Ian

Hi paintpot! I think it's safe to say that you have got most of us completely "sussed" ! A lot of us here kid ourselves, to a certain extent, that saving cash is one of the main reasons we switched to DE shaving and all that goes with it. And it is still the main reason why some of us do it. However, for a lot of us it quickly becomes more than just clearing the fuzz from the "phizog", and acquisition disorder afflicts us,(some,more than others,myself included). I will leave it here because I am quite capable of "going on a bit", and I daresay other forum members will have their say... :D

spandex..

Back
Top Bottom