Hello everyone. New member from the Scottish Borders

Hi all!

I've been reading this and a few other forums for about a week now, researching what products I needed. I've used a brush and cream / soap for about 20 years now but never with a DE razor. To be honest I had become fed up with the price of Gilette cartridges and had been using cheaper supermarket ones. This probably explains why I had razor rash. I had tried one pass WTG then relathering and trying a second pass ATG which generally felt like I was ripping my face off. The following day my neck would be bright red and covered in welts for a few days which meant that I couldn't shave it! I thereafter resigned myself to one pass WTG which didn't usually result in a particularily smooth finish.

Having researched this and other sites I took the plunge and bought an Edwin Jagger D89 in smooth chrome. It arrived this morning and is absolutely a thing of beauty! Using a newly acquired Palmolive stick I lathered up with my Men U synthetic brush (soon to be changed for a natural Vulfix 404 mix) and would have to say that the first pass WTG was a tad disappointing. However the second pass XTG was without doubt the closest shave I have had in memory! I didn't risk ATG just yet until I see how my face is tomorrow. Unfortunately I only have RSC balm to apply at the moment (usual £1 bargain bin) but have ordered some witch hazel odourless aftershave as my wife has very sensitive sinuses.

I would just like to say thank you to everyone on here for all the advice that has been posted which helped me to make my choices thus far!

Simmo

That's a really nice razor you've got Simmo, I'm sure it'll soon become a trusted friend. When you think about it, even though multi blade disposable heads are more like a shaving surface than blades (in my mind anyway) one pass against the grain is 3, 4 or even 5 seperate blades scraping over the skin. No wonder some peoples' faces can't take that kind of punishment.
Look forward to future updates.
JohnnyO.

Back
Top Bottom