Hello all..........a new straight razor user.

Hello to all Shaving room forum members. I have just purchased a Gotto 120 straight cut razor, I am a complete novice to this type of shaving and welcome any and all information regarding this subject. I plan to shave on the weekends or holiday periods with the straight razor, enabling me to enjoy the expeirence.......hopefully.
Paul

Hi and welcome hope you enjoy the straight razor. There are a few of us on this forum that shave with straights if you want any advice just ask and you will get lots of info.

Exile

Hi Hando

No, not jumped into the deep end, well I have when it concerns using a straight razor........... My weekday shave consists of a Mach III moving at high speed over Nivea Gel.

Turning 50 this year, having a change of employment I have tried to slow my life down. I enjoy a wonderful Cuban Cigar at the weekends which is something that cannot be hurried and employs a certain amount of set stages. After researching the use of Straight Edge Razors it is clear that it is something which takes discipline and a routine to ensure you have a safe and smooth shave.

In short, I have started to enjoy hobbys /disciplines that do not require to be rushed, a feeling of freedom for a short period,in a world that seems to demand your time all of the while.

What about you Hando?

Paul

well Paul i used a brush and soap for years before going back to using a DE, i have a straight but haven't got round to giving it a serious go yet :roll:
i chop and change depending on my mood but usually stick to one set-up for a week or so

for yourself i'd get a decent brush and either a soap or cream first of all and learn to make proper lather, stick with the Mach3 for this.
the whole idea to this old school (proper) way of shaving is WET WET WET, basically hydration.

watch mantics videos on youtube, he's kind of Obiwankinobe when it comes to this kind of thing ;)
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ezJNJfygw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ezJNJfygw</a><!-- m -->

any questions just ask away, there's plenty of experience on here and opinions :lol:

if there's one thing i learned it's ask before you buy, someone here will either have it or will know about it.

Thank you all for such a warm welcome. I have just returned from my sons where we stayed for Christmas, so just catching up. Thanks for the great advice on lathering up guys and the Marti Pellow routine LOL.... I will check out the You Tube videos as suggested. I am going to send the razor away for honing to a reputable company any suggestions? not had a chance to read all my way through previous posts & threads, so apology's if its been talked to death before. It seems as if there is a distinct lack of suitable shaving stands for straight razors that incorporate brushes or am I wrong in my comments? This is the sort of style I was looking for but you have to buy the razor and brush but this has no drip pan at the bottom? Never like to buy combinations generally something of the collection is Naff....

Paul

Attachments

• MAIN400.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 64
Back
Top Bottom