Hardware - tick, software - hmm

Thanks to the modern mixed blessing that is on line retail I have in short order purchased a variety of shaving paraphernalia and expect it to arrive over the next couple of days.

Gillette superspeed razor
Derby blades
Edwin & Jagger faux tortoiseshell badger brush (a cheapie to start)
Brush stand

Oh and a block of alum.

Right that gives me a little time to consider pre-shave, shave cream, post shave etc', and I throw myself open to suggestions from learned friends on the forum.

I do have sensitive skin (they all say that I bet) which has been prone to red bumps and few spots now and then. In recent years I've been able to get away with shaving every other day, which is all I can stand normally. However professional duties now require me to often shave on consecutive days.

I have been browsing and quite like the look of D R Harris, especially the cucumber & rose milk, and their new rose shave cream might make a good match? Other than that I've been looking at usual suspects Trumpers, Truefitt etc.

Any recommendations particularly suited to a newbie with sensitive skin?

the easiest and cheapest, dare i say best, place to start is Palmolive soap

if your that worried about sensitive skin (which Henk say's doesn't really exist) try MWF but some people have trouble lathering it :roll:

I also have sensitive skin and find the proraso green cream to be very easy going,there is also a white 'sensitive' version which I also use and have had no problem with a reaction.The DRH Rose hasn't caused me any reactions either.Palmolive did make my neck itch a bit so I don't use it.

I highly recommend Proraso post-shave balm -- that and Trumper's lime skinfood (another a/s).

Musgo shave cream is good, as is Speick, TOBS Rose and...well, many others.

One of the best things you can do is buy samples. It will save you the hassle of buying a cream and then finding out that it doesn't agree with you.

A great website run by a member of this website, Paul, is http://closeshave.org.uk/ where you can buy samples of aftershaves, colognes and cream.

I bought a Truefitt and Hill creams and balms sample pack from their website for £6 (a great purchase as I found out that not all the scents were for me).

Trumpers also do a sample kit on their website but I went into their Curzon Street shop the other day and they generously gave me free samples.

With regard to sensitive skin. What does it really mean? Sensitive to what exactly? Artificial fragrances, some essential oils, certain chemical ingredients...who knows. Sometimes I think people say they have sensitive skin when it's really their technique that irritates them. Focus on blade angle, NO pressure and getting a moist and thick lather.

Products I would recommend: Taylor's Lavender, Speick and I recently bought Kiss My Face from a US supplier from Amazon, which is suprisingly good and incredible value.

Once you get the ball rolling.... :D

If you have a Body Shop nearby pay them a visit and ask if you can try a sample of their Maca Root shave cream. They usually give a small pot that's good for 1-2 shaves. And it's made by Creightons who make the Trumpers, TOBS creams etc. And it's free btw. ;)

I'd also get a Palmolive soap and/or cream, so cheap and good you can't go wrong.

Pete

You'll find the better you shave the less sensitive your skin becomes.

Don't assume that because of the type of skin you think you have you should avoid alcohol, it is the best antiseptic. Some folks also like witch hazel which is easily available from the local chemist.

Can't go wrong with the three T's and DR Harris product, the scent of course is a matter of preference.

Derbys can be so so, get a blade sampler pack form Connaught.

RajK said:
A great website run by a member of this website, Paul, is http://closeshave.org.uk/ where you can buy samples of aftershaves, colognes and cream.
I bought a Truefitt and Hill creams and balms sample pack from their website for £6 (a great purchase as I found out that not all the scents were for me).
Trumpers also do a sample kit on their website but I went into their Curzon Street shop the other day and they generously gave me free samples.
Echo all of that.

antdad said:
Derbys can be so so, get a blade sampler pack form Connaught.

Good advice from Baracas (he ain't no fool). Blades can make a massive difference to the smoothness of your shave and, consequently, the condition of your skin post shave.

hando said:
if your that worried about sensitive skin (which Henk say's doesn't really exist)

Mmm, I didn't say that. What I said is that most people claiming they have sensitive skin don't. At least not clinically. In shaving, the major cause of irritation is not sensitive skin, it's shaving. Shaving, in any form, is a fairly rough abrasive action. No matter what your choice of shaving routine (electric, multiblade, DE, straight), you'll need time to hone your technique so that you can achieve the best result with the least irritation.

So it's better to focus on technique development than on software that would allegedly prevent irritation. During that time, it may be an option to shave in the evening rather than in the morning -- more time, and any irritation will be at night, not in the morning.

Having said that, there are after shaves that are milder than others; this doesn't make much of a difference with good technique, but if your face is irritated from shaving, a milder after shave may be more comfortable.

Henk

RajK said:
One of the best things you can do is buy samples. It will save you the hassle of buying a cream and then finding out that it doesn't agree with you.

With regard to sensitive skin. What does it really mean? Sensitive to what exactly? Artificial fragrances, some essential oils, certain chemical ingredients...who knows. Sometimes I think people say they have sensitive skin when it's really their technique that irritates them. Focus on blade angle, NO pressure and getting a moist and thick lather.

Products I would recommend: Taylor's Lavender, Speick and I recently bought Kiss My Face from a US supplier from Amazon, which is suprisingly good and incredible value.

Once you get the ball rolling.... :D

perfectly put

Bearing in mind the sensitive skin angle, I'd like to recommend Mitchell's Wool Fat soap. Before anyone pounces on me for this, it's only fair to point out that some people have trouble getting it to lather, mostly those cursed with hard water supplies I reckon.

Back
Top Bottom