Hard water and distilled water...

I live in an area with extremely hard water - 489 mg CaCO3/L.

Should I be using distilled water for soaking my badger brush(es) and for lather creation?

I haven't heard anyone suggesting that on here, although that is pretty hard water you have there. I thought it was bad where I live, I have a counter top RO system to bring my Thames water down from about 315ppm and I remineralise to about 70 for the sake of my espresso. For a while I used that with shaving soap but decided it wasn't really necessary for me in the end.

Thanks. I looked into RO systems, and was advised that the water is too hard for RO. I've bought a couple of litres cheaply from the local supermarket, and will do some tests with and without!

Thanks. I looked into RO systems, and was advised that the water is too hard for RO. I've bought a couple of litres cheaply from the local supermarket, and will do some tests with and without!
For what's it worth, try checking out whether just boiling the water wouldn't soften it somewhat because of limescale depositing in the kettle.

I have a dehumidifier in the cellar. I have things there that I don't to rot or rust. The water it produces saves my wife having to buy water for her steam iron.

A three stage RO system would make shower work of the water hardness.

These people can advise . . . .

Mine is the Osmio Zero. Imperative for the espresso machine. It does help with shaving, you can use less soap, I just couldn't be bothered as I have loads of soap anyway and kept forgetting to take water upstairs.

What also works is to buy a simple funnel. Put it on top of an old bottle and put some paper towels or even a coffee filter in the funnel. Then fill the bottle slowly with tap water and let it sit for a couple of hours.

It’s an old photographers trick to deal with the final rinse of developed negatives when there’s no distilled water around. In drying you would otherwise get stains on the negatives and that’s a negative ;-)

Reactions: PHR
Some years ago we compared our waters (oo-er!) to find who had the hardest and the softest examples (oo-er, indeed!) ... and off the back of that, being in one of the softest water areas myself I procured a sample of the hardest to conduct such a test. The soap in question was Mitchell's Wool Fat and actually I found that the hard water sample produced a stable lather more quickly.

Granted, MWF was one of those soaps that foamed up if you used too much water and guess the hardness helped to combat that ...

... but in the grand scheme (and a long way round of saying), it most likely does not matter. Simple as that. Use whatever is dispensed from your tap and don't sweat it.

... but in the grand scheme (and a long way round of saying), it most likely does not matter. Simple as that. Use whatever is dispensed from your tap and don't sweat it.

I thinks that’s the best advice. Even if a certain soap/cream doesn’t work so well, there’s always another to pick that will work. And in my experience, Proraso and Palmolive creams always work.

Some years ago we compared our waters (oo-er!) to find who had the hardest and the softest examples (oo-er, indeed!) ... and off the back of that, being in one of the softest water areas myself I procured a sample of the hardest to conduct such a test. The soap in question was Mitchell's Wool Fat and actually I found that the hard water sample produced a stable lather more quickly.

Granted, MWF was one of those soaps that foamed up if you used too much water and guess the hardness helped to combat that ...

Well put. Hurrah for tap water however it arrives

Back
Top Bottom