Hard soap in bowls - do I rinse the bowl afterwards?

i rinse off the bowl and soap so that its a nice smooth clean surface on the soap. Then put it away again. Dont even bother drying it really. Had my C&E soap almost a year of this treatment, and it's still in fine shape

Steve27752 said:
Arrowhead said:
Well, me too, but I don't have any wooden bowls. Not sure the idea of using a porous hygroscopic material for a soap dish is a very good one, to be honest.

Why is that?

Porous: has pores (aka small holes)
Hygroscopic: absorbs water.

All in all, a nice little breeding ground for bacteria I should imagine (although the soap should go some way to preventing that being a problem to any user), also handy for starting the wood on to rot...

CanucksTraveller said:
Ah good, as long as the constant soaking isn't going to damage the bowl in any way. It's just so pretty. :lol:

Well, it probably will, unless it is a lathering bowl made by someone who takes pride in finishing it right. The finish on the bowls that high end soaps come in is usually way less than adequate. And even with a good varnish finish, the constant action of the (somewhat caustic) soap may over time attack the finish... For a truly durable finish, you probably need to use an epoxy resin coating.

I'm with Ian on this one. I don't have any wooden bowls at the mo but used to have the Kent one with a puck of WMF in it.

A quick wipe round the extremities, pop lid back on and set back on shelf. :roll:

After, a very short time, the lid warped and sat on the bowl like a banana so I got myself one of their ceramic dishes. (very pretty! :oops: )

Now heres a wee thing I do.............. :eek: Please don't be shocked! :shock:

I use a fair bit of MWF hand soap and when I get down to the last tiny bit of soap. You know? Too little to use but too much
to throw out? :roll: I squeze it down the side of the puck in the dish! :oops:

There I've said it now.......and I feel good! :)

On a serious note maybe some of you soap makers here could advise me whether this is a bad idea or not?

I understand that shaving soap and hand soap have different properties but would such a small amount make a difference?

Back
Top Bottom