Hanging Hair Test

I shall indeed make inroads into that - I know that the Kraken is the most expensive 'portion' of the sale. Assume the strop to be £15 as per Pete's strops, Solingen to be £30-40 and the cheapest it'd come to is £65, which would be just out of budget for the time being. After Christmas, who knows?

I shall indeed make inroads into that - I know that the Kraken is the most expensive 'portion' of the sale. Assume the strop to be £15 as per Pete's strops, Solingen to be £30-40 and the cheapest it'd come to is £65, which would be just out of budget for the time being. After Christmas, who knows?
No harm in asking though.Maybe ask what type of reasonable offer would he accept.

I am happy with my honing when blade will pop arm hair, stealth, no sound, no resistance, it is a bit like magic when suddenly hair jumps off the blade, not sure blade even touched it...only problem: left arm is bold by now, right arm is bolding, left knee also starting to look a bit on the thin side.

I am happy with my honing when blade will pop arm hair, stealth, no sound, no resistance, it is a bit like magic when suddenly hair jumps off the blade, not sure blade even touched it... Only problem: left arm is bold by now, right arm is bolding, left knee also starting to look a bit on the thin side.
Use your legs

Sounds like you have a good method.How many razors have you honed?
I have Forgotten the Amount of Blades I have Honed..I Honed Hollow Ground SE Blades before Taking Up SRs & I Have Honed More than a Few Blades for Folks..Put it this Way..It Wasn't Unusual in the Old Days for Folks to Shave from a One Stone Method..90% of the Work Happens on the 1 K Bevel Hone..:D

Billy

I have Forgotten the Amount of Blades I have Honed..I Honed Hollow Ground SE Blades before Taking Up SRs & I Have Honed More than a Few Blades for Folks..Put it this Way..It Wasn't Unusual in the Old Days for Folks to Shave from a One Stone Method..90% of the Work Happens on the 1 K Bevel Hone..:D

Billy
Do you buy vintage then restore & sell on elsewhere other than here?

Does anyone agree with the school of thought that says you can hone too far up the grits where at which point it becomes worthless. That is to say, you can hone to say 12k(or more) but as soon as the blade begins to shave, it loses that incredibly sharp edge?

I have read that a 1000 grit stone used correctly will score somewhere between 1 and 3 on HHT (if you have strands of hair meeting the HHT standard that is)

Last edited:
Does anyone agree with the school of thought that says you can hone too far up the grits where at which point it becomes worthless. That is to say, you can hone to say 12k(or more) but as soon as the blade begins to shave, it loses that incredibly sharp edge?
I Am Not Sure where a Lot of Folks Come from Regards to Honing to be Frank..Forums are Full of All Sorts of Claims..We Never Know what some Folks are Doing or Not Doing..;)

Personally I Finish on 0.5 Lapping Film after a Naniwa Super Stone Progression..That is the Equivalent Grit to a 20 K Synthetic Stone albeit Different Media..The Edges I get are Super Sharp & Smooth..I Would Suggest if a Blade is Displaying those Symptoms its Not been Worked on Properly on the 1 K Bevel Hone..:)

It Would Appear to Me that Some Folks Blame the Later Stuff for Work that Hasn't been Properly Done Earlier..:D

Billy

I Am Not Sure where a Lot of Folks Come from Regards to Honing to be Frank..Forums are Full of All Sorts of Claims..We Never Know what some Folks are Doing or Not Doing..;)

Personally I Finish on 0.5 Lapping Film after a Naniwa Super Stone Progression..That is the Equivalent Grit to a 20 K Synthetic Stone albeit Different Media..The Edges I get are Super Sharp & Smooth..I Would Suggest if a Blade is Displaying those Symptoms its Not been Worked on Properly on the 1 K Bevel Hone..:)

It Would Appear to Me that Some Folks Blame the Later Stuff for Work that Hasn't been Properly Done Earlier..:D

Billy
Set your foundation right and the rest will follow ;)

Back
Top Bottom