Handmade Shaving Mug

Ordered a Hadmade Shaving Mug from Woodhead Pottery, it cost me £12.00 (& £2.50 Shipping) the guy that does them Steve is very helpful and will make them in diferent colors and with alterations etc.

He also sells them on E-Bay: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Steve-Woodhead-Studio-Pottery__W0QQ_fsubZ345999319

if anyone is interested just send him a message or call him:
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:steve.woodhead@yahoo.com">steve.woodhead@yahoo.com</a><!-- e -->
01788 522178

Bit Of Info:

http://www.studiopottery.co.uk/profile/Steve/Woodhead

I just got one off E-Bay, and got him to do one in cream for me...

[attachment=2]
[attachment=1]
[attachment=0]

Steve's an absolute pleasure to deal with. I ordered a scuttle off him several months ago now. I felt that the first design he offered would be a bit small for what I wanted, so he came up with the mega scuttle. For me it's the perfect size for lathering in and keeps the lather warm for a good 25 minutes or so.

My one regret is that I don't really utilise it enough anymore. I've taken to face lathering and it was quite an expensive purchase to be sitting on a shelf in the bathroom for the vast majority of the time. :oops: Not sure whether to keep it for those occassions when I do want a nice long relaxing shave with warm lather or to try and sell it and get back some of what I paid for it? :?

Despite my own rush to buy before thinking whether I really needed it or not, I can also highly recommend Steve's work.

Really nice work. Thanks for the info.
I'm not using creams as much at the mo, but is it true the non-flat insides of the scuttle aid lather production because they provide more friction for the brush/cream combo? Or is it a moot point? Always wanted something like this as my Costa Coffee mugs felt too smoothe. If it does make a difference, which kind of inner surfaces are best?

sonny said:
Really nice work. Thanks for the info.
I'm not using creams as much at the mo, but is it true the non-flat insides of the scuttle aid lather production because they provide more friction for the brush/cream combo? Or is it a moot point? Always wanted something like this as my Costa Coffee mugs felt too smoothe. If it does make a difference, which kind of inner surfaces are best?

i havent tried mine yet, but i used to have a china bowl that had ridges inside that i used (until i dropped the bugger), that was really good with cream for bowl lathering, i guess it does make a difference, or i did seem to for me anyway ;)

I've found that the spirals in the base of the scuttle and the rough texture of the surface do help to generate lather a bit quicker than just using a cereal bowl or china cup that I used before it.

Steve

I've looked at these before but was concerned that they were a bit low in the sides. I'd be interested to know how you get on with it. I was worried that lather would spill out....

here is an email off him just today....i helped him initiate his shaving range

Hi, just thought I'd send you a quick email as catch-up. The summer Ceramic fairs have started, so have been really busy getting ready for them

The shaving range is selling nicely now and I'm getting some good feed back from people.

I'm hoping to introduce a green glaze in Septemer, and a soap puck box.......I'll send you one for review

enjoy the lovely summer

speak to you later

Steve

so cant wait till a get one to try out...i also asked him to try and make a ceramic stand...later to add peeps initials on as a personalisation...but will hav to see

simmo3801 said:
Steve

I've looked at these before but was concerned that they were a bit low in the sides. I'd be interested to know how you get on with it. I was worried that lather would spill out....

It is 4 1/2 cm from base to top, i whipped up a lather with some Palmo cream earlier in it as i needed to De-Stink a Boar Brush, works really well.......well for me anyway ;) :D

Ideal cheers

I have a large Ikea mug but it's too deep for my new Vulfix 404 so I find I'm almost dropping it in. Was using a cereal bowl before which was too smooth inside so this might work for me!

My bllue lather bowl has a nasty sounding crack in it, so I'm not even using it at the moment.
):

Will definitely need to replace it at some time. My Souper Lather mug (from 99p shop) is great but a bit too deep or my liking; the Woodhead bowl was the ideal size for the task.

sunburyboy93 said:
simmo3801 said:
Steve

It is 4 1/2 cm from base to top, i whipped up a lather with some Palmo cream earlier in it as i needed to De-Stink a Boar Brush, works really well.......well for me anyway ;) :D

Yeah can't see it being an issue. The other day I noticed some cream had stuck to the lid of a wooden shaving bowl. I placed the flat lid in the palm of my hand and whipped up a very decent lather. My fingers were keeping it from escaping away from the sides. I've heard of people making lather in their sink or in their palm. I think Mantic mentions it in one of his vids.

Back
Top Bottom