Handle Q

Im getting a slim twist off Max, and Im wondering if its possible to replace the handle with something metal, either from another TTO or custom made. I notice the American Bob (Bobs Razors) does custom ones, does anyone in the UK do one - and how easy is it to swap a TTO handle?

Father Ted said:
Im getting a slim twist off Max, and Im wondering if its possible to replace the handle with something metal, either from another TTO or custom made. I notice the American Bob (Bobs Razors) does custom ones, does anyone in the UK do one - and how easy is it to swap a TTO handle?

I wouldn't have thought you could change the handle of a TTO as that is where the TTO mechanism is held. I know CCBob does handles for 2 and 3 piece razors but i thought that was about it :|

Cooncat Bob ( Bob's Razor Works ) does use "Knack" (USA Version of the Slim Twist) to make custom razors, so it can be done if you have the right gear

[attachment=2]
[attachment=1]
[attachment=0]

On the off chance anyone is interested (and they probably are not) I have had an email back from Bob from Bobs Razor Works about the Slim Twists with the heftier Bull Mastif handles that he has:

He cuts the head off the plastic handle with a cut off tool on the lathe.

Apparently the handles are not the standard ones, he attaches a Number 12-24 threaded rod to the shank of the head and it screws on to the new handle.

Then he permanently attaches the head to the handle. (??Glue?)

And apparently there's a barbed shank that goes into the plastic handle.

So sounds way beyond my technical expertise which can cope with changing the height corrector on a Citroen BX, but making things from scratch involving lengths of threaded steel rod are beyond the realms of reality for me.

I think I might be asking if he can adapt my head, but the thought of shipping my razor over the pond and what not isnt appealing to me.

Father Ted said:

I think I might be asking if he can adapt my head, but the thought of shipping my razor over the pond and what not isnt appealing to me.

If you send it with a tracking number it should be ok,and wont really cost a lot as razors are light,also i can recommend dealing with Bob as he made a custom adjustment knob for my Merkur Progress,it was quick and he sent emails keeping me informed.

Dave.

Back
Top Bottom