Hand held blade honing machine

I like the idea of being able to hone a used blade with one these devices to get it back to nearly it's best but if my favorite blades are coated there really isn't much point is there. Or is there?

Hey, maybe I could put the numbers to good use.

My guess would be that, since the coating of platinum/chrome/iridium is the last thing to be applied to the blade after it has been honed in the factory, any further honing would abrade away that coating and leave you with a blade which was effectively just a plain stainless working edge. Probably not what you're really after?

Given that so much of the "character" of the blade will be determined by the fineness/angle of the hone and the plating, you could probably feed one of these honing machines almost any old stainless blades and they would all come out with a similar charateristic (and different from their original characteristics).

I think there are a couple factors, I'm assuming that most coatings replace and try and achieve what a good polishing of a razor edge would normally but I'd also expect blade manufacturers to try and get away with using the cheapest steel they can, after all they wouldn't want them to last too long.

Just wondered if anybody has had a play honing/polishing modern razor blades with any success.

antdad said:
I think there are a couple factors, I'm assuming that most coatings replace and try and achieve what a good polishing of a razor edge would normally but I'd also expect blade manufacturers to try and get away with using the cheapest steel they can, after all they wouldn't want them to last too long.

Just wondered if anybody has had a play honing/polishing modern razor blades with any success.

Henk wrote a decent summary I think of using his Allegro honing device. <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3776&p=48257&hilit=allegro#p48535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3776&p=48257&hilit=allegro#p48535</a><!-- l -->

I am at the moment using a RAZORPIT I bought when using cartridge razors,the claim being you can get 150 shaves out of one cartridge.I have had the blade in a week now and is still as sharp as when put in and a lot smoother.

Thanks Hunny, thought I'd read it somewhere. Norman, I'm sure that'll work for a while but I'd be very surprised if it lasted that long.

Back
Top Bottom