Had my best shave so far (yesterday)

I'm new here and have only just de-bearded for the first time in a decade (due to bad experiences with cartridge razors) and started wet shaving again.
This time with a DE razor and yesterday evening I had my best shave so far.
I've had a couple that have gone well be have left me a little sensitive - rather than razor burn. So I'm well chuffed!

While shaving last night, I got no razor burn, soreness or anything. I did 3 or 4 passes just fine (it's taking ages to cut my way though the the stubble of my muzzle).
The whole while I was thinking - why it was so comfortable and was I mistaken, would I wake up tomorrow with a painfully sore and dry skin around my mouth.
At the end of the shave it was almost baby smooth (except a bit on my jowls I couldn't seem to get, and i didn't want push my luck...).
... But, No! it's all great. No ingrown's, no pimples, no soreness. Don't know whether it was better lathering or a better razor angle and the chanting of no pressure.

Just wanted to share that :lol: :roll: :oops:

Should I try a different/sharper blade now and see if I can cut through the muzzle stubble easier? or it this an experience thing?

It's so tempting to see if a different blade will work better for you but it sounds like you are doing just fine with what you have.

Besides renewing your blade, I'd stick with the same set up for a week or two, practice getting your prep, lathering and technique just right for now and then get a sample pack to work through. Just change one aspect of your routine at a time so you can identify what does and doesn't work for you.

Gruff said:
I'm new here and have only just de-bearded for the first time in a decade (due to bad experiences with cartridge razors) and started wet shaving again.
This time with a DE razor and yesterday evening I had my best shave so far.
I've had a couple that have gone well be have left me a little sensitive - rather than razor burn. So I'm well chuffed!

Should I try a different/sharper blade now and see if I can cut through the muzzle stubble easier? or it this an experience thing?

Hi there,

Yeah, I'd listen to antdad and not change anything for a couple weeks. Right now the idea is to start perfecting the various parts of a good shave, and consistancy is the way to go in the beginning. It's possible a better blade may be out there, but right now you wouldn't know what one feels like. You can't make an accurate judgement on a blade without having the technique down.

After a few weeks try another blade. I'd bet by then you'll most likely be able to feel a difference between em. Then it's just trial and error, all the while perfecting the technique needed for consistantly excellent shaves.

Martin

...well I kept it the same, and I boogered it up :roll: it was terrible. :cry:

I think it's because I needed a fresh blade, it really can't do more than 2 shaves...
right fresh blade each time from now on and I see if that'll let me get consistency...

Gruff said:
...well I kept it the same, and I boogered it up :roll: it was terrible. :cry:

I think it's because I needed a fresh blade, it really can't do more than 2 shaves...
right fresh blade each time from now on and I see if that'll let me get consistency...

I found in the first few weeks that changing blade every other day was ideal, now I'm working towards every four days, which I think is about maximum for me. I used to try and make them stretch a week, but perhaps I just have thick hair, I know a lot of people say they get a weeks worth of use out of a blade.

Keep it up. Most of all I've found that keeping the face wet is the best thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom