Had a 180 on ASB

Over the last few weeks I have avoided using aftershave balms and instead stuck to aftershave splash/lotions. After some advice from antdad about trying out some higher alcohol aftershaves I thought I'd give it a go. I didn't think I'd be able to go without using balm but after forcing myself out of the habit and sticking with just aftershave (so far been sticking with Aqua Velva, Old Spice Fresh Lime and Speick) for a few weeks my skin has become more resilliant to irritation and it is in much better condition that it was previously.

I mean it might just be different strokes for different folks but I thought I had problem skin....... and now I know I don't. Plus the added zing you get from aftershaves like those mentioned above provide me with a nice bracing feeling which I just love.

So thanks to antdad for this advice and also if you have "sensitive" skin, it might be worth trying an old classic aftershave.

Andy

Excellent news, I'm very pleased it's working for you Andy.

I do feel it's a bit of a trap that converts fall into...if balms aren't working for you just get the alcohol out or add a bit of AS to your ASB.

Cheers Tony,

Im beginning to wonder if it was maybe balms causing the continuous irritation after my shaves. It's the only thing I've changed about my shaves. With a good AS, I splash it on, it braces (or stings if you will) then Im fine.

Completely sold on the Indian Old Spice Fresh Lime as well as Speick.

I use alum (no rinse) and have stopped using the Boots ASB in favour of the alcohol Gillette ASB with some kind of splash after. That combination Its working better for me and I don't get the dryness some report. I have oily skin which might explain it.

There are so many variables I expect many shaver's get irritation of some sort, half the battle is finding out what really works. I usually have trouble when I get complacent and don't take the necessary care.

I do find the application of an AS after an ASB a bit counter intuitive but if its working and you like the results, why not.

I have drawn a similar conclusion but do still advocate their benefits, I do use ASB's but not in excess or with every shave. When using an ASB or other post shave treatments my head is telling me to use "a little bit more"than I know I need, rather than what is needed. We do the same when making lather so it is something we are conditioned to so automatically; I am sure the manufacturers are happy that everyone tends to use/buy a "little bit extra, just in case" whether it be food, paint or shaving products. I find this "little bit extra" on application of ASB's, apart from being wasteful, can leave my skin with a greasy layer sometimes this layer can have the adverse effect of giving me collar chaffing because the skin it is not dry.

One of the most recent revelations I have found is the use of a little shave talc, I find the absorbing effect of the talc reduces any collar chafing and also calms my skin and reduces any redness very quickly.

Some days I do exactly the same an Andy, shave then alum followed by an AS splash, some of the scents in the splashes are quite short lived, I find Proraso to disappear quickly so I leave it a half hour then add some shaving talc and a squirt of cologne (not on the face) and that's me done. Other times when I am not going out I like to use a nice balm after shaving and just leave it for an hour or two. Later in the afternoon I will go slunge my face with only warm water and then use an aftershave like AV or Proraso with some with hazel thrown in and this conditions my skin nicely for the next days shave. The oils in my skin, or what has been absorbed from the ASB, surface over the rest of the day and my skin is ready for the next shave.

Overall my findings are that I have a lot of products and I only use them as and when required or desired, some days I skip ASB and some days I don't but it is interesting that it has helped you. I might try it for a consistent period and see if it suits me.

Back
Top Bottom