Guess my weight

Denzle, Knurling on a standard centre lathe with stainless is not easy because of the very nature of the material. The other problem is that when you come to finish the cut off end you need to put the knurled part in the chuck. I was thinking of going in this order:: Make a deep centre drill and tap make use revolving centre to knurl and pattern leaving the RC in place make a deep under cut about 10mm wide at the chuck end then either chamfer at 45 deg or smooth radius then part off leaving very little to do at the part off to make tidy. My mate is back end of next week so I might be in business. For a pattern I was thinking full knurl and some sharp featured rings. Need to be on the lathe to see what looks right. Pity you are so far away from me.

Very nice handle. I may have a go myself on my school's lathe :). My guesses for the competition are : 85.95 or 80.67 grammes
Thanks for offering it as a competition prize, keep up with the handle making, it looks awesome.
Regards
Rodders

Big Bob said:
Denzle, Knurling on a standard centre lathe with stainless is not easy because of the very nature of the material. The other problem is that when you come to finish the cut off end you need to put the knurled part in the chuck. I was thinking of going in this order:: Make a deep centre drill and tap make use revolving centre to knurl and pattern leaving the RC in place make a deep under cut about 10mm wide at the chuck end then either chamfer at 45 deg or smooth radius then part off leaving very little to do at the part off to make tidy. My mate is back end of next week so I might be in business. For a pattern I was thinking full knurl and some sharp featured rings. Need to be on the lathe to see what looks right. Pity you are so far away from me.

Thank you Bob for your kind words of advice. Your skills on a lathe far exceed my basic knowledge. As for knurling it's a bit of an esoteric art that I dare not dabble in! Truth be known is that the handle was made on a cnc lathe. My input being the design, shot peen blasting and polishing. Basically I made a drawing with dimensions and the cnc operator wrote a program and downloaded it into the machine, pressed a button and 5 minutes later the blank(plus thread) was complete. So you see I'm not that clever! I'll be doing a one in Titanium which I'll anodise and one in Cobalt (that'll put the m/c to the test!) I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again. Denzle

Rjstoz said:
Very nice handle. I may have a go myself on my school's lathe :). My guesses for the competition are : 85.95 or 80.67 grammes
Thanks for offering it as a competition prize, keep up with the handle making, it looks awesome.
Regards
Rodders

Thank you Rodders: The last time I used a school lathe Flashman was Head Boy, steam was King and Long John Silver had two legs and an Egg on his shoulder!!!!!

OK Gents the competition's closed and we have a winner. Thank you to everyone who participated. The actual weight of the handle according to my steam operated digital scales is 73.10grms so the winner with a guess of 73.26grms is Northam Saint. Congratulations Mate, if you could PM me your address details I'll get the handle out to you ASAP.
Thanks again,
Denzle

Rodders if you have access to a school lathe you will most likely have access to different pattern knurling tools that could be very interesting. Do you have access to vertical or universal milling machine with a dividing head that could make some very pretty patterns.
Bob

Denzle said:
Big Bob said:

Thank you Bob for your kind words of advice. Your skills on a lathe far exceed my basic knowledge. As for knurling it's a bit of an esoteric art that I dare not dabble in! Truth be known is that the handle was made on a cnc lathe. My input being the design, shot peen blasting and polishing. Basically I made a drawing with dimensions and the cnc operator wrote a program and downloaded it into the machine, pressed a button and 5 minutes later the blank(plus thread) was complete. So you see I'm not that clever! I'll be doing a one in Titanium which I'll anodise and one in Cobalt (that'll put the m/c to the test!) I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again. Denzle

Rjstoz said:
Regards
Rodders

Thank you Rodders: The last time I used a school lathe Flashman was Head Boy, steam was King and Long John Silver had two legs and an Egg on his shoulder!!!!!

The different knurling tools just take a bit of mathematics and some practise. Unless of course you have some cutting knurls. The normal knurls that squish the pattern in are frustrating, but once you have carried out a bit of research and put in some time they can create very nice knurls. Stainless is a tough ask on a wee machine though. Aluminium is easy to form, but requires flood coolant to keep the chips away and keep them from being pressed back in. Brass isn't to bad and neither is steel. Stainless requires far more pressure and will stress out small lathes leading to damaged lathe. I am lucky to have an old Ellis Dividing head that I picked up in a trade along with some old mics and a chuck. It is a fantastic tool but I really need to get myself the other plates for it. I only have the one and the others can be difficult to come accross. I have an aquaintence that has promised to make me some plates on his cnc mill but I fear I could be waiting for a while :-(

Give the knurling a go, patience and practise shall be rewarded!

Back
Top Bottom