Grunting

Why do they allow it?

Sharapova is at it again. I watched her play Laura Robson yesterday. On one side we had Miss S screaming while playing each shot, on the other a player making virtually no sound. It's an aspect of tennis that really should be dealt with.

Any of our tennis players any thoughts?

As usual, I'm settled in for a few hours of sport again today. Mainly tennis but I'll keep an eye on the 20/20 England v Sri Lanks cricket. And see the final Grand Prix qualifying.

Motorcycle trip later.

I hate it,there's no need for it.I can understand that now and again it will happen with extra effort but not every shot.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta-YayY8Zm0&feature=related[/video]

Start early..........

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbYxcbpeXZE&feature=related[/video]

Totally unnecessary and unsporting. They do it because they are after any advantage but until an opposing player officially complains not much happens. Won't watch or listen to it.

You just watch, they'll be sweating next. So unmannerly.

Honestly. People hitting things as hard as they can making a noise while they do it? Whatever next?

Sarcasm aside, I really don't see the problem. I'm a competitive powerlifter and coach, and know that different people make different noises at different levels under maximum load - nobody HERE is doing it to put off an opponent, since only one person lifts at a time! Maybe a very occasional player is trying to unsettle opponents, but frankly I doubt it - it's going to take a lot more than that to break concentration mid-rally. Of course some viewers dislike it - clearly many here, and no doubt it's a hot topic on "grumpy old men" or whatever they call it now - in which case there's the mute button or the off-switch.

Reminds me of this week's prize letter (!) in the RT in which a gentleman opines that he will only return to watching the tennis when they stop grunting, bouncing the ball more than six times before serving, and using both hands on the handle. Sir, I doubt you will be missed.

Here you are Doc. I don't think spectators mind grunting through shear effort and will, it's the audition for X factor us GoM's complain about, let's not forget its a spectator sport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-7WLIqa2M0&feature=related

De Brito was told to shut it...she did.

In martial arts one exhales when striking and shout or grunt while doing so, its known as a kiai (Jpn) or kihap (Kor). Wikipedia describes it as usually linked to an inner gathering of energy released in a single explosive focus of will

I imagine that its the same in tennis.

ye but do you kiai on every punch or kick? that is the issue I have with it.

Well supposedly if you are putting sufficient 100% effort into each strike then it should have a kiai, in reality what brings the focus and power together its the exhale. IME engaging the vocal cords at the same time is just to show that you are doing it (both to yourself and to your instructor).

Likewise if you as you learn to play tennis you grunt as you exhale, as a means of expressing the effort you are putting in, then its going to get drilled into you and be a hard habit to break.

Lol just read a facebook comment on a mates wall about Maria Sharapova
Imagine what f@cking her would sound like! :p
:rolleyes:

I can completely understand why some spectators don't like it, just as nobody particularly likes seeing footballers spitting. Equally, if I were a player, I'd do what worked best for me and not care - which is what they do, of course. I very much doubt anybody's got the breath spare to waste on being theatrical.

I was reluctant to bring up the (obviousish) martial arts comparison as I don't know much about it - happily Jeltz clearly does.

I saw a clip of a women's game last night where both of them were grunting. It sounded like a comedy snore! first one 'honk' the second one 'shooo'
hilarious, well maybe for the first minute.

My dad turned over to the Ladies' Final a few minutes ago and launched into one of his rants about Sharapova. Must say I agree - the other player was doing very well without sounding like she was...you know...every time she hit the ball.

Back
Top Bottom