Greetings Gentlemen

Hello there chaps

After years and years of putting up with inferior shaves I've finally found somewhere that gives plenty of advice on a subject that has sometimes become an uncomfortable chore :roll:

I've quite a bit of reading to do on this forum before I take the plunge and buy some kit, but am looking forward to 'rolling up the sleeves' and getting back to a 'proper shave' :idea: unfortunatley as a young man I was never taught how to shave properly and have made do for far too many years with dodgy electric razors and even dodgier multi bladed insrtruments and a variety of sticky foams etc :oops:

I've located the instruction videos on youtube (via this forum :!: )and found them quite a help ;)

Probably looking to go down the Merkur34c for starters and waiting for a couple of replies re a starter package including brush/soap/dish blades etc before I decide :idea:

Hi there Baz C & welcome to what my M8 Urban Hermit refers to in his Vincent Price voice "The Room".

Loads of good, reliable & helpful suppliers out there (many are members of this forum) who'll be happy to get back to you with some suggestions and might even be able to put together a wee starters' kit . You've probably already see the list of suppliers with whom members of TSR have dealt and recommend.
Only suggestion I'll make is that if finances permit you do consider a pack of assorted blades available from Connaught Shaving.

Enjoy selecting and using your new kit.

JohnnyO. \ :D

Welcome baz chaz. I'm sure you will enjoy your time in the forum. Loads of info here.
I am relatively new as well and have learned that a lot of the enjoyment is finding the ideal combo for yourself.

Hi Baz, welcome to TSR! :D You can get a decent starter kit from most supermarkets or Boots. Some stuff that isn't too expensive but will set you up nicely. The Palmolive stick* or Boots soap is very decent stuff and a Men-U bristle shaving brush can easily be obtained. Or you can look online for something a bit fancier. Part of the difference I've found in 'traditional' shaving is the pleasure it gives. The scents of the soap and creams, the lathering up with a brush. So, once you've got the basic technique sorted you can start discovering lots of other interesting products.

Edit: forgot to add *best grated in to a bowl and squashed down - then use with a brush

Hi and welcome baz chaz! :D You´ve found a great place! Most of us have gone down that iffy road, with electric shavers and expensive multi blade junk together with canned goo.

Thanks chaps,

Mrs C is looking for something for christmas for me :!: so this is an ideal time for me to get something reasonable :!:

Looking at spending round about the £55 mark for razor, badger brush, (sample)pack blades, cream and bowl :idea: should get sorted with something around that sort of price methinks ;)

antdad said:
Welcome, give me till the end of the day I'll put up a new to D.E shaving shopping list post in Shaving Help.

Sounds interesting :idea:

Had a couple of replies to e-mail questions I've sent to web based suppliers :!:

Cream instead of soap has been the main advice so far ;)

Nicest sample of cream I've tried for a while is the Coates, which is pricey (in my world at least) but lathers very easily & has a gr8 cushion. Also £1 of each sale goes to Help for Heroes if that's of any interest. I don't know where you're getting all these wonderful wives from. First Mrs. Spiral gets kit for Mr. Spiral, now Mrs C is stocking up.

JohnnyO. :?

JohnnyO said:
... Also £1 of each sale goes to Help for Heroes if that's of any interest.

It certainly is :!: It's a charity I support as regularly as I can :idea: Thank you.

Is there a specific link re the Coates please, or is it wherever it's on sale there is a donation :?:

Back
Top Bottom