Good morning from another new boy

Hi All,

I stumbled across this forum a couple of days ago, while investigating DE shaving, and have read a few of the topics with great enthusiasm. Being a member of a number of boards, for different hobbies, I feel that this one is one of the friendliest out there and I look forward to participating where I can.

I've long been frustrated using the Mach3. The price of blades is just ridiculous and the whole experience of shaving has become a chore.

My Father has always used a DE razor as far back as I can remember, so I have used his on occasion. I remember using his old Gillette back when I was just starting to shave. The weight and balance, together with the quality of the razor added something to the experience that I'm currently lacking.

I enjoy the tactile nature of quality products and instruments so, I've ordered a Merkur 34C an EJ brush and some Coates Tea Tree LE cream to get me started. I'm also fighting the urge to buy an old Gillette even before making that initial shave (e-bay's an evil place!).

I shall post my experience when my kit turns up. Hopefully not too long to wait.

All the best,
Phil.

Hello Phil & Welcome.

Im new to the forum myself, but an old hand at DE shaving and returning to a DE razor after a while using Mach 3's.

What has surprised me more than anything is the difference between razors. Im reading & learning rather a lot from the forum. I agree though on eVilbay.
I ahve bid on rather a lot of stuff :shock:

Welcome to TSR! If you can hold off buying more razors for a little while get used to using the Merkur first. Once you are happy with your technique you can then start trying all the other options out there. Be warned, it could take some time!!

Thank you all for your warm welcomes.

Pig Cat said:
Welcome to TSR! If you can hold off buying more razors for a little while get used to using the Merkur first. Once you are happy with your technique you can then start trying all the other options out there. Be warned, it could take some time!!

That's good advice and, certainly, that is the plan but we'll see..... Late-night e-bay sniping has been a vice of mine for many years. Hopefully the 34C will turn up in the next couple of days and give me something to focus on and take my mind off other temptations ;)

Phil.

Phil said:
Thank you all for your warm welcomes.

Pig Cat said:

That's good advice and, certainly, that is the plan but we'll see..... Late-night e-bay sniping has been a vice of mine for many years. Hopefully the 34C will turn up in the next couple of days and give me something to focus on and take my mind off other temptations ;)

Phil.

Hello Phil. It wasn't advice, it was an instruction. He's getting a bit carried away with his new-found power and authority. Next week he's planning to annexe the Sudetenland and shortly thereafter will be marching on Poland.

But don't let that put you off.

Regards

Ian

Hello and welcome to the forum, Phil. The advice from Mr Pigcat (I think it's advisable to observe the formalities nowadays) is very sound, nonetheless a vintage Gillette is something everybody should try in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom