Good morning and Hello!!

Hi everyone I'm Adam and I've been browsing through your forums of late to get some tips for beginning the road of wet shaving and now I've finally decided to sign up after my first DE shave.

Not gone to far with regards to tackle as I am only a beginner and so wanted to test the water before I jump in!

I have purchased the cheap, classic Wilkinson sword as I read this was pretty good for noobs and am using the wilkinson sword blades as supplied. Other than that I have a cheap wilkinson sword bristle brush combined with Ingram cream and tabac AS. I have also bought a palmolive stick so that I can rotate lathers - however I've read Im probably going to want more than one? I also have a Boots styptic stick in case of any (inevitable) nicks

The shave went wonderfully today, didn't get it as close as I would have liked, but for a first effort I was very pleased. Had one small nick, but the stick sorted it no probs. By far my favourite investment of the shave was the the Tabac - simply divine! Am thinking of getting some Boots Bay rum and Brut today aswell so that I can rotate fragrances - and they're relatively cheap. In the other hand, by far my worst investment was the brush - took a long time to make a lather and when it did it wasnt't particularly great. Have my eyes on a Vulfix badger already!

So thats about all for my introduction and I'm looking forward to the journey. Just to note, I already have the Vulfix brush, Merkur 34C and old shulton Old spice on my wish list - does anyone suggest any alternatives/additions?

Hi and welcome Adam! You´ll find a lot of good info here, lot´s of knowledgeble guys around. Re the brush, it needs to be broken in before it preforms the best, even tohugh it´s not a very good brush, it´ll get better.

Adam D said:
Hello Adam,

Welcome to the forum!

Hope you enjoy your stay :)

What Vulfix brush are you looking at? The 404? It gets a pretty good rep on here.

Adam

Yes I do believe it is the 404 - thats the one that I most recognise the name of anyway.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the WS brush Mikael - I will make a judgement after a couple of weeks with it.

Many thanks for the welcome guys!

Hi & very welcome T Man. I'm sure that you'll be inundated with recommendations presently from all of us. At the moment it's probably good that you just get to feel comfortable with what you've got. The Palm Olive is well thought of by almost everyone on here and is amazing value for money. If there's something you feel you may wish to try in the blades or soap line as you go along it's always worth mentioning as someone may well have what you're asking about and can pop you down a wee free sample just to try out.

It wouldn't be me if I didn't mention glycerine shaving soaps such as Scent from Heaven, Col Conk & Mama Bear.

Enjoy yourself.

JohnnyO. ;)

Morning & welcome. Just remember that it isn't a race, technique over tackle - every day of the week ;)

The 404 from DiamondEdge is a good recommendation. As for Tabac, if you are going to buy more in the range and you have a little patience, buy it here (with the free shipping) as they are the cheapest around, i believe: <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fragrancex.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.fragrancex.com</a><!-- w -->

Finally, there are more bandwagons running around this place than you can point a shaky stick at, so use your head :|

Adam D said:
They sell the 404 at Diamond Edge Ltd. and they offer a 10% discount to TSR members, have a look in the vendors forum.

10% is only for Simpson brushes.

Welcome, if you think you are going to take this hobby further, make a leap of faith and get Fido's latest offering.

The 404 mix is perfectly fine, but by the time you've spent £10 here or £20 there wondering if there is much difference between brushes,
you might as well spend £35 on a really good brush if you can.

What ho Adam, welcome and well done with your debut shave.

The Wilky brush will need a good few more uses before it is broken in but it is a breat performer (especially with hard soaps) once it gets started so use it from time to time an keep it in your stash somewhere.

The 404 from Diamond Edge is a terrific choice but do phone them and ensure you are getting the Badger / Boar mix; muck cheap and worth every penny.

;)

antdad said:
Adam D said:
They sell the 404 at Diamond Edge Ltd. and they offer a 10% discount to TSR members, have a look in the vendors forum.

10% is only for Simpson brushes.

Welcome, if you think you are going to take this hobby further, make a leap of faith and get Fido's latest offering.

The 404 mix is perfectly fine, but by the time you've spent £10 here or £20 there wondering if there is much difference between brushes,
you might as well spend £35 on a really good brush if you can.

Agreed , the New forest brushes are excellent. You won't regret getting one.

Welcome Adam. As the others have said, the New Forest brush is cracking, and would stand you in good stead for many years. It's nice to hear someone singing the praises of the Tabac aftershave, by the way.

Hi Trueman and welcome to the forum. You cant go wrong with Tabac as soap but like the rest of us you'll soon find yourself trying lots and lots and lots of other soaps, brushes, aftershaves etc etc :)
regards, beejay

Back
Top Bottom