good evening!

Hi all,

this is my first post. I am new to the world of DE. Had my first shaves last weekend with a cheap plastic razor then invested in this little lot:

Photo-shaving.jpg

am going top have my first shave with it all tomorrow cant wait. Have read loads of stuff and seen mantics videos on youtube so am going to prep properly, take my t ime and enjoy it!

Looks good to me.

If you prep well and are used to dragging a blade across your face (even some multi-blade plastic jobbie) then you'll be fine.

Lather building can take some time to get right (and each soap/cream is different) - it can tend to be too wet or too dry. Add water slowly (with the brush) and work it well before deciding if you need more. Remember, you can add more but you can't take it away.

Short strokes, minimal pressure, it'll be good.

And welcome!

destroy my credit card? wont be hard! already like the look of the gillette bostonian!

I did order trufitt and hill cream with my set but they sent taylors instead, contacted them and they are sending out a truefitt for me, and said to keep the taylors as an apology. have also got some truefitt samples so may try one of them tomorrow. Is cream easier to lather than soap for a newbie?

Welcome to TSR! Well you are certainly nicely set up there Milkman. Cream easier than soap...hmmmm...probably. It's certainly quicker and for your first shave I'd go for the TOBS cream. The Bluebeards soap is Mitchels Wool Fat rebranded. This soap gets mixed reactions. Some swear by it and others swear about it (See what I did there?) so it may be worth trying this in a few days once you have stuck with your starting setup and got used to it. Try changing one thing at a time if you can resist the temptation to have a go with all the wondrous items you'll be purchasing over the next few weeks. That way you'll know whether each change is for better or worse.

Hello.

Taylor lavender cream is excellent (if you like lavender, of course). I've used it, on and off, for a while, and in fact, I've used it all this week.

Ian

Hi Milkman!

Got a nice bit of kit there, since I'm not an expert, what razor & brush did you get?
If the TOBS Lavender is as good as the Jermyn street Sensitive you'll enjoy that!
themilkman said:
I did order trufitt and hill cream with my set but they sent taylors instead, contacted them and they are sending out a truefitt for me, and said to keep the taylors as an apology.
I think I know who they were. Care to name them?, think it's good customer service that! :p

Enjoy!

FB.

thanks for the advive and welcome. the razor is an edwin jagger de89l, an dthe brush is an edwin jagger pure badger.

Got the prorarso and bluebeards from shaving shack, the rest from tradionalshaving, good customer service from both.

am going to start off with one type of cream and blade i think to get my technique right, then start changing things. thinking of strarting with the astra blades.

Hello & very welcome M/Man, cream is probably an easier option to be sure of getting a rich, cushioning lather, however now that the bug has bitten I've no doubt you'll be enjoying some soaps as well soon. I'm one who likes the Mitchell's Wool fat which is the base of your B/Beard's Revenge, however we all saw what Pig/C did there ............. so some don't like it !

JohnnyO. ;)

Hello and welcome. It looks as if you've made some good choices as far as your gear is concerned. Just one piece of advice - don't start by using the Feather blades. They're not for the inexperienced!

Enjoy your shaving. There's plenty of good, sound advice here.

Regards

Ian

G'day, 1pintSemiSkimm.. er, themilkman!

• Welcome to the Room... Nice bit of stash you have there. The DE89L is a nice bit of hardware, and the Astras might well be the best choice of blades to start with from you have there, then the 7-O'c Yellows. I hope you do better with the Feathers than I do; irritating little basta... um,
      • ... have fun, feel free to ask the roomies here your questions, they're mostly a great bunch and worth reading.
          • ... except that weirdo-Hermit-fellow - he's a bit of an odd'un, eh, what![/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

Back
Top Bottom