Glastonbury

What with all the Glastonbury stuff on the BBC over the weekend, just want to know what are anyone's highlights and experiences of the festival.
I went in 92,94 and 1995... In 92 I got to see one of my musical heroes in Lou Reed it's the only reason I went but was absolutely blown away by Tom Jones on the Sunday afternoon. In 1994 I saw some great stuff, dreadzone opened it and was staggered by how loud the bass was. Had a great afternoon at the jazz stage with four bands in a row, ultramarine - transglobal underground - African headcharge - dub syndicate. I saw the beastie boys when I was considerably the worse for wear with acid and saw some great sets by jah wobble and the sons of arqa.
1995 was the best time I've ever had at a festival, five days solid with no sleep and baking sunshine. The weekend started with strong acid and the ozric tentacles complete with belly dancer, saw some great bands, the black crowes, oasis, orbital and Frank sidebottom among others. One of the highlights for me was Tricky headlining the jazz stage, absolutely fantastic. Finished nicely on a sunny Sunday afternoon with Page and Plant, utterly glorious.
Sorry to be a music bore :D but just had a drink and reminiscing x

What with all the Glastonbury stuff on the BBC over the weekend, just want to know what are anyone's highlights and experiences of the festival.
I went in 92,94 and 1995... In 92 I got to see one of my musical heroes in Lou Reed it's the only reason I went but was absolutely blown away by Tom Jones on the Sunday afternoon. In 1994 I saw some great stuff, dreadzone opened it and was staggered by how loud the bass was. Had a great afternoon at the jazz stage with four bands in a row, ultramarine - transglobal underground - African headcharge - dub syndicate. I saw the beastie boys when I was considerably the worse for wear with acid and saw some great sets by jah wobble and the sons of arqa.
1995 was the best time I've ever had at a festival, five days solid with no sleep and baking sunshine. The weekend started with strong acid and the ozric tentacles complete with belly dancer, saw some great bands, the black crowes, oasis, orbital and Frank sidebottom among others. One of the highlights for me was Tricky headlining the jazz stage, absolutely fantastic. Finished nicely on a sunny Sunday afternoon with Page and Plant, utterly glorious.
I have never been to the Glastonbury festival but my tent has!!!
I lent my tent to a friend who was going and was in need of a tent.
Your discription of the event was wonderful though, I could have been there!
five days without sleep, a shit load of acid, music and a big bag of weed ( that last bit was my add on) :)
Thanks for your memories although I'm surprised you can remember any of it! :)

Paul.

I loved Glastonbury in 1995. The 25th anniversary - pissed for most of it. Oh the sun you mention. I had sun stroke on the Sunday, and could barely stand for The Charlatans :cool:

Highlights being - Pulp, The Charlatans, Oasis, Orbital, Black Crowes and I think Portishead (but would need to check). Plus, I was got hit on the back of the head by a wing mirror of a converted golf buggy driven by Mark Lamarr who was presenting for Channel 4 or the BBC. I look back at the 1995 festival as one of my favourite times with my mates. A real rite of passage as it were. Did everything I could to soak up the atmosphere. Pretty sure that we watched Pulp Fiction on a large outdoor cinema screen too.

The state of everyone at Bristol Templemeads Station on the Monday enroute back to the north. Hilarious. Have some photos of us at about 8pm at Leeds station waiting for a connecting training home. Utterly fecked.

Went to the 97 & 98 festivals too. The mud baths !

I loved Glastonbury in 1995. The 25th anniversary - pissed for most of it. Oh the sun you mention. I had sun stroke on the Sunday, and could barely stand for The Charlatans :cool:

Highlights being - Pulp, The Charlatans, Oasis, Orbital, Black Crowes and I think Portishead (but would need to check). Plus, I was got hit on the back of the head by a wing mirror of a converted golf buggy driven by Mark Lamarr who was presenting for Channel 4 or the BBC. I look back at the 1995 festival as one of my favourite times with my mates. A real rite of passage as it were. Did everything I could to soak up the atmosphere. Pretty sure that we watched Pulp Fiction on a large outdoor cinema screen too.

The state of everyone at Bristol Templemeads Station on the Monday enroute back to the north. Hilarious. Have some photos of us at about 8pm at Leeds station waiting for a connecting training home. Utterly fecked.

Went to the 97 & 98 festivals too. The mud baths !

The 95 festival was so good it made me make the conscious decision never to go to another Glastonbury, I didn't want to spoil my memories of it.
Me and me mate tried to go and see portishead but we were that wankered we couldn't find the stage, we had a site map and were in the next field but couldn't make any sense of things ☺️

Watched the full set at the time on TV.....the stage effects & lights are taken to another level here. Would have loved to have been there

I've never been there personally, though a couple of people I know have. An old friend of mine saw David Bowie perform there in 2000, and they told me that it was absolutely mind-blowing. They had never seen him live in concert before. They were quite close to the stage, and they said that they couldn't get used to seeing him with long hair again, as he hadn't had long hair since the early 1970s. They were talking about it for ages afterwards.

Another friend saw Status Quo there in 2009. I was unable to go, due to financial circumstances and health reasons, but I was asked. I had already seen Quo live in concert several times before, so I wasn't too bothered about seeing them again. My friend said that the concert was superb, but then Quo always are. They haven't seen them since Rick Parfitt died, though. I still listen to their music quite often.

Back
Top Bottom