Gillette-Wilkinson Sword??

I've noticed on ebay listings what appears to be a weird competitor-hybrid of Gillette AND Wilkinson Sword blades.
They appear to be actually Gillette blades but use the competing brand names on the packaging.

Are these for real? They seem very cheap for Gillette or WS products???

The pictures show both brand names together.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50-Gillette-W...429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b468a175

It's part of the incestuous history of shaving hardwares, but in simple terms, somewhere along the way, in India, licensing ended up with this very real blade. But I don't know for sure about for how long as I seem to remember reading that the license runs out/needs renewing sometime in the not too distant future.

FrenchBlade said:
But are they any good? ;)

I saw that this vendor sell the super-max I might want for cheap, so I might throw in a few of these!

Max

That's not a question for me to answer for you Frenchie; your 'good' and my 'good' might not share the same traits etc.

I can't remember anything specifically about them that I would call them bad blades, but I have many other blades which I prefer to use more frequently.

Urban Hermit said:
FrenchBlade said:
But are they any good? ;)

I saw that this vendor sell the super-max I might want for cheap, so I might throw in a few of these!

Max

That's not a question for me to answer for you Frenchie; your 'good' and my 'good' might not share the same traits etc.

I can't remember anything specifically about them that I would call them bad blades, but I have many other blades which I prefer to use more frequently.

Very true, especially since I'm the only one here liking merkurs :D

Max

FrenchBlade said:

Max

Well, you and Blythe Spirit, are the more vocal/visible (I'm pretty sure there are others as well, just not committing themselves in public perhaps - spandexcodpiece was a fan of them too - wherever he might be nowadays), but I haven't got anything hugely against them, or Derby's.

There are just blades I prefer to use, and there are blades I haven't tried yet, that I would like to give a try rather than them.

I do occasionally re-visit them, they just haven't been re-ranked due to that, yet.

Saloon blades are half blades for replaceable straight razors.

Correction: These White Saloon Wilkinsons are double edged blades. They are just a pack of 50 blades (carton of 5 x 10-packs)

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-GILLETTE-WILKINSON-SWORD-DOUBLE-EDGE-RAZOR-BLADES-/140466007478?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b46d2db6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-GILLETTE-WILK ... 20b46d2db6</a><!-- m -->

these are the ones you should be looking at

made in the same factory as the 365's and possibly the black 7 o'clocks
the Lasers are made elsewhere

excellent vendor btw

hando said:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-GILLETTE-WILKINSON-SWORD-DOUBLE-EDGE-RAZOR-BLADES-/140466007478?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b46d2db6

these are the ones you should be looking at

made in the same factory as the 365's and possibly the black 7 o'clocks
the Lasers are made elsewhere

excellent vendor btw
They look like the pack I have. I will have to try them.
Please don't tempt me to buy more blades - I have ordered loads lately and then when I checked Connaught shaving again he's changed his product lineup again!! :) I have my eye on the Silver Stars simply because I know nothing about them.
I need to finsih using the ones I have (I do one shave on a blade then put it to one side safely while I try another). Have 5 like this already and will only get worse as I have about 10 more different types in situ).

Damian Murphy said:
I've got some of these , Indian wilkinsons . Pretty good , sharp and smooth enough for 3 shaves for me.
Pleased to hear it. I'm trying to like Gillette blades. I'm always hearing about the legendary Swedes and I've tried the Sharp Edges, the green Super Stainless, the Black Platinums and very recently the Bleues. It seems to be (for me at least) a characteristic of these blades that they're sharp, very smooth, but for me cause a bit of soreness. Not much, but more than with some cheaper brands. I still like them, though, and the black Super Platinums seemed to get less so as I stuck with the one blade. I managed 7 shaves out of one of them, which was very impressive!!

I'll try the Gillette Wilkinson Sword tomorrow and on Tuesday try the Bleue again. Need to get a favourite Gillette blade and buy some in bulk

Urban Hermit said:
FrenchBlade said:

Max

Well, you and Blythe Spirit, are the more vocal/visible (I'm pretty sure there are others as well, just not committing themselves in public perhaps - spandexcodpiece was a fan of them too - wherever he might be nowadays), but I haven't got anything hugely against them, or Derby's.

There are just blades I prefer to use, and there are blades I haven't tried yet, that I would like to give a try rather than them.

I do occasionally re-visit them, they just haven't been re-ranked due to that, yet.
My couple of tries with Merkurs have been enjoyable I just don't feel they justify the price tag!

Back
Top Bottom