Gillette Superspeed?

Trying to gauge what sort of Superspeed this is?

$(KGrHqZ,!mIE6B35oTK9BOjv8L0QfQ~~_3.JPG

any help would be appreciated.

T

It notched so it's after '47. If it has no date code on the bottom of the head then it's 48 to 50. If no date code. Some say that they can tell if it's a 48 or 49 , but I don't think so.

Johnus said:
It notched so it's after '47. If it has no date code on the bottom of the head then it's 48 to 50. If no date code. Some say that they can tell if it's a 48 or 49 , but I don't think so.

Thanks, the vendor stated it had no date code, going from the pics on Mr Razors site, I think it might be a 1948/49.

T

That's the dates that I'd give it. My birth date is 48 , so I've been buying, and reading about them. Some say there's I difference I can't see it. They're not even sure about the boxes they came in 1/2 say paper the other half say red/clear plastic.
They are nice razors.
Johnus

I'd say '49 just because of the case and the blades . Red and clear case 49 had cream colored blade container,(48 had white)(50 had blue) does the blade container have 20 blades in it?

The problem with the boxes is that when people got a new razor, the old one went into the NEW box. So the razor and boxes got miss matched.

Johnus said:
I'd say '49 just because of the case and the blades . Red and clear case 49 had cream colored blade container,(48 had white)(50 had blue) does the blade container have 20 blades in it?

The problem with the boxes is that when people got a new razor, the old one went into the NEW box. So the razor and boxes got miss matched.

The one I purchased has no box with it.

T

Isn't there some distiction between "PKG" and "Package" as stamped on the base plate? I've heard of people dating them that way, but for all I know it's still based on guesswork.

I researched this razor quite a bit when I got it and the only way I could be sure (as much as possible?) that mine was a 1949 one was because the case, blade pack and blades all match the razor. Without the case you can only narrow it down to a couple of years. So yours may well be a 1948 one.
@ Johnus the blade case had 10 blades in it (it now has 2), but from what I have seen it is correct for the razor.

Gillette were notorious for selling " mix and match" razors/cases so until the date coding came back in it can be difficult to match a razor to an exact date?

To missingskin. I your studies have you seen anything about dating the 1948 aristocrat Jr ? I thought that had read that that one was the only razor of that year that could be dated but of course can not re find the article!

Johnus said:
To missingskin. I your studies have you seen anything about dating the 1948 aristocrat Jr ? I thought that had read that that one was the only razor of that year that could be dated but of course can not re find the article!

Hi Johnus,

1947, Diamond stamped base plate and un-notched blade bar.
1948, Flat base plate and un-notched blade bar.
1949 Flat base plate and notched blade bar.

Think I have got that right, hope it helps.
Steve

Got the razor cleaned up and its a 1950 Superspeed, indentified by the
PATS NOS on PKG on the inside of the baseplate, not a bad shaver, slipped in a 3 shave old Perma Sharp and it gave a pleasant shave.

ttfn

T

Back
Top Bottom