Gillette Super Adjustable

I think I get this confused with the Super Slim (if there is such a model). Basically the one with the all black handle that looks like a Slim Adjustable.
Is it really any different to the SA and is the handle black plastic (solid or metal underneath) or is the handle metal painted black?

dont know to be honest.
But there is 3 types. 2 long handled ones, one with a metal base plate and one with a plastic baseplate. then there is the short handled(well same size as other DE's) one that only comes with a metal base plate. I think I am right in saying the handles are not plastic well mines dont seem so anyway.

The handles on these were black anodized aluminium, same as the black handled super speeds. all the lady gillettes were also anodized in the various colours.

word of warning, if you put the Super adjustables or black superspeeds in an Ultrasonic cleaner, it will start to remove the black finish and you will have a speckled Razor !

Steve

I have a "72 Super Adjustable - its a very different beast to the Slim Adjustable.

Its "head" heavy rather than quite equally balanced and this means not having to apply any pressure and letting the razor do the work, does that make sense?

Thanks everybody.
I have a Wizamet which is essentially a Polish copy and that is very head heavy. The head feels heavier than most Gillette TTO ones but the handle is hollow black plastic!

I quite fancy one but after xmas. The ultrasonic advice is very valuable - thanks Sunburyboy

I believe that this conversation came up before. A review of information on the Internet suggest the best answer is that the handles are a resin coated metal. If so, I'm still not sure why it should wear as badly as some of them do?

NotTheStig said:
I think I get this confused with the Super Slim (if there is such a model). Basically the one with the all black handle that looks like a Slim Adjustable.
Is it really any different to the SA and is the handle black plastic (solid or metal underneath) or is the handle metal painted black?

What's up NTS,

Ok, there's no such thing as a Super Slim, except in Limeyland and places like that. Ask anyone in Yankville about that model and you get confusion...heh.

You got the slim adjustable, which has the silver colored handle, and you got a few kinds of super adjustables that were produced after the slim, which all have the black coated handle.

The earlier super adjustables (both long and short handle versions) both have the same knurling pattern, with the shorter version being about the same length as a slim. The adjuster dial looks a bit different than the slim. Later models starting in about 1980 all have the plastic black baseplate with that same hqndle pattern, and some other late models have a diamond pattern instead(which I much prefer). Oh yeah, there's also a gold plated long handle super that was made for a few years around 1969-70.

I've shaved with all of these at one time, and the later ones are a smidge lighter but still shave pretty similar to the earlier models (although I do prefer the heavier all metal head by a small margin). I know there's at least six super adjustable versions, and maybe even seven. Main thing they have in common is the all black handles, even though the pattern may be different.

Crap, I hadda old pic of em all lined up, but I can't remember where I put the silly thing. Sheesh. I'll post that if I can...who knows.

Hope that helps,

Martin

Here's a poor shot of the SH super and a slim: Oh yeah, let me know if you wanna try a super.....

NotTheStig said:
Do they shave like a slim adjustable?

I actually prefer the short handle super over a slim for the way it feels in my hand. Seems like the super head feels a little beefier for some reason, although both razors weigh about the same.

The long handle super is nothing like the slim, as far as weight and balance and feel in the hand goes. Very strange using a handle that long, although the shave itself it similar to a slim since the heads are all pretty much the same design.

They are luscious razors NTS......you need to collect the set!

Glad to help....

Attachments

• super and slim sale 001 (Small).jpg
    super and slim sale 001 (Small).jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 31
You will also see the Super Adjustable referred to as the Black Beauty.

I've a couple of long handled super adjustables here, all pre plastic base plate. If you would like to borrow one, drop me your details in a PM and I'll get one on it's way to you at the weekend.

Still after the short handled version, it keeps eluding me so far...

Cheers,

Adam

Hax said:
Still after the short handled version, it keeps eluding me so far...
Adam
Try eBay USA, I picked mine up (I was after an S1) on there very reasonably. The seller didnt list the UK as a shipping option but I asked if they would be prepared to send it to the UK and they agreed. Pitched up inside a week and very reasonably priced too - I think all in I paid £35 including shipping for a very clean unmarked example.

Thanks Hax and Dodgy. There is always more to it than it seems from the outside. Not sure I like the idea of a plastic baseplate - sounds a bit naff. Maybe it works though? I am sorely tempted to borrow one... Hmm... And appreciate the offers. I have a blue slim twist and a Schick injector on the way though. Dodgy forced me to buy the injector. He'll be disappointed to read it's not an adjustable but from the one photo on ebay France it and its box look to be in very good condition. No soap sum in the corrugated tray on the box - maybe it is mint?

Here is the injector I won:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270868616848?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I have a rule not to buy from US unless the cost inclouding shipping is less than £20. Don't want delays and extra cost due to customs. It also acts as a psychological block for spending too much too often!

Back
Top Bottom