Gillette Rocket HD - restoration?

Came across this little chap whilst rummaging through my old shaving box.....

As you can see it has Brit.Pat and 694093 marked on the blade tray, and its marked under the head with the diamond gillette logo and made in england.
It weighs 71g, so i am assuming it is a Rocket HD (sometimes called a 500?).

It's mechanism is smooth as butter, and everything is square and precise. So she's definitely a go'er and i'll give her a run tomorrow and see how i get on.

I've given her a gentle clean, but havent touched her with anything except hot water, microfibre cloth and touch of mineral oil.
All surfaces are smooth with no pitting or scratches but as you can see there are black/purple patches on the bomb doors, and a little on the handle, i presume this is oxidisation/wear on the surface plating? Or is it surface contamination that might respond to polishing?

Basically there's something very satisfying about her that i havent found with my modern DE's, and if possible i'd like to bring her up to the best condition i can, but unsure whether a full restoration (replating etc) is required or if i can enhance her myself?

Cheers,
Marty
IMG_20210210_143504.jpgIMG_20210210_143447.jpgIMG_20210210_143531.jpgIMG_20210210_143554.jpg

Came across this little chap whilst rummaging through my old shaving box.....

As you can see it has Brit.Pat and 694093 marked on the blade tray, and its marked under the head with the diamond gillette logo and made in england.
It weighs 71g, so i am assuming it is a Rocket HD (sometimes called a 500?).

It's mechanism is smooth as butter, and everything is square and precise. So she's definitely a go'er and i'll give her a run tomorrow and see how i get on.

I've given her a gentle clean, but havent touched her with anything except hot water, microfibre cloth and touch of mineral oil.
All surfaces are smooth with no pitting or scratches but as you can see there are black/purple patches on the bomb doors, and a little on the handle, i presume this is oxidisation/wear on the surface plating? Or is it surface contamination that might respond to polishing?

Basically there's something very satisfying about her that i havent found with my modern DE's, and if possible i'd like to bring her up to the best condition i can, but unsure whether a full restoration (replating etc) is required or if i can enhance her myself?

Cheers,
Marty
View attachment 64563View attachment 64562View attachment 64564View attachment 64565
It looks to be in good useable condition, it all depends on what you want or more to the point what you are willing to spend on what would only be cosmetic reasons.
I would do your best to clean it up and leave it at that. Just use it and enjoy it but the choice is yours! :)

Paul.

Thanks blademonkey, guess what im after is advice on HOW to make her better cosmetically... then i can look at the cost/hassle and decide whether its worth it!

Would it be worth hitting her with some mild silver polish or something similar, or could that make her worse?
If not, is there anyone in the UK who can replate/refurb her back to former glory?

Thanks blademonkey, guess what im after is advice on HOW to make her better cosmetically... then i can look at the cost/hassle and decide whether its worth it!

Would it be worth hitting her with some mild silver polish or something similar, or could that make her worse?
If not, is there anyone in the UK who can replate/refurb her back to former glory?
You could try a light polish with Peek, you wouldn't want anything too abrasive.
Try soap and water first with an old toothbrush and see how you go.

Paul

As blademonkey says it’s sometimes better to leave as is however iv just started doing my own restoration without replating obviously.
It’s all down to what you want to do,
i recently bought a tech from ebay for £6 it wasn’t in great Nick at all so i gave it a bit of TLC and it was looking fab, The plating was all but gone on this one with scratching to the head.
i used 180 wet & dry to remove the scratches and polished it with jewellers rouge,
But i would never recommend this if your plating is still decent.
Sometimes a tooth brush with fairy liquid is all you need to remove the oils that stays on them from your fingers & a polish up with no compound unless your certain you won’t remove anything you want removed

Well, success on both counts!

Gave the HD a run out this morning, using RazoRock Tuscan Oud soap and aftershave splash.
Was very pleasant and fuss free, no nicks or burn and all together produced a lovely shave, 1 pass was presentable so i left it there but i imagine another would have produced an immaculate finish.

After trialling her i decided to take the bull by the horns and hit her with some Peek polish..... and after a sympathetic buff she has come out beautifully! She's so nice that i dont actually want to use her, so i'll either add her to my collection or maybe put her up for sale.
Here's the result, a rather nice Rocket HD (pity they have no date stamp, i'd love to know exactly how old she is)...

Attachments

• IMG_20210212_150944.jpg
    IMG_20210212_150944.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210212_151012.jpg
    IMG_20210212_151012.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210212_151031.jpg
    IMG_20210212_151031.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210212_151114.jpg
    IMG_20210212_151114.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 13

Gave the HD a run out this morning, using RazoRock Tuscan Oud soap and aftershave splash.
Was very pleasant and fuss free, no nicks or burn and all together produced a lovely shave, 1 pass was presentable so i left it there but i imagine another would have produced an immaculate finish.

After trialling her i decided to take the bull by the horns and hit her with some Peek polish..... and after a sympathetic buff she has come out beautifully! She's so nice that i dont actually want to use her, so i'll either add her to my collection or maybe put her up for sale.
Here's the result, a rather nice Rocket HD (pity they have no date stamp, i'd love to know exactly how old she is)...
It looks great!

Good job! A shame not to use it but that's only my opinion and it's your razor! :)

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom