Gillette Post-War Canadian Fat Handle Tech - Date?

Purchased the below gold coloured Tech recently; althougth there is little gold colour left. The underside top of the base plate, from left to right, is stamped "Y" "PAT. CANADA 1932" "4". The underside bottom of the base plate, from left to right, is stamped with the Gillette parallelogram logo and "MADE IN CANADA". However the top plate also has the parallelogram logo (very feint now). The handle is the short, brass, fat type. I think the top cap is brass but not certain. The discolouration on the centre post looks like brass but the discolouration on top of the cap looks like rust. I was wondering if this razor is a bitsy?' put together from different tech razor parts; it came boxed, but again not sure if the box is correct for the razor. Can anyone ID and date the razor? Razor looks perfectly functional, threading is good and the base plate is true, not warped.

IMG_1167.jpegIMG_1168.jpegIMG_1169.jpegIMG_1170.jpeg

Last edited:
The date codes that are available are for US razors, but may roughly correspond to Canada razors. Y 4 would indicate a fourth quarter 1953 for a US razor. Your razor is correct for that year.

I can tell by sight that the cap and baseplate are brass, the handle is probably yellow brass on the top end with a red brass body. The logo shape is commonly referred to as the Gillette diamond, and I spell "feint" faint. Great razor, go shave!

1932 refers to the patent, not date of manufacture.

The date codes that are available are for US razors, but may roughly correspond to Canada razors. Y 4 would indicate a fourth quarter 1953 for a US razor. Your razor is correct for that year.

Thank you, great to get your detailed knowledge on this, really appreciated. I have just had a first shave with it...and it shaves great; the weight, the balance and handle length work as one and just feels right. More blade feel and feedback than my EFB and maybe a smidgen more efficient but the latter could be down to other variables. As for the spelling of feint and faint, we allow our former colonies a bit of slack when it comes to the english language :) .

Back
Top Bottom