Gillette platinum

1000031617.jpg

A few more standard English manufactured packs

1000031627.jpg

The ultra rare (AFAIK) Italian market (note Gillette S.p.A. Milano) Platinum Plus, also called the Super Silver Platinum Plus on the blade. The date code is H3 i.e. Q3 1987. Whilst I can't prove it conclusively, I strongly suspect these were made in England and are just regular Platinum blades with alternate market specific branding.

Now for the 'Swedes'...

Please note that these were never manufactured in Sweden (Gillette has never had a factory there), they acquired the name because 'intellectually challenged members of a major US forum' misinterpreted the distributers details on the reverse of the pack.

1000031623.jpg

The classic 'Swedes' - note 'Stockholm' at the end of the list of distributers. This last word is important. Distributers, not manufacturers. Following the introduction of the EU Single Market in 1993, if a product was made in a member state, it was not a requirement to label a product with the place of manufacture if that place was in the EU; just the distributers details.

I have these blades labelled both V3 (Q3 2000) and some with no date code, however this article in French: https://www.lesechos.fr/1999/04/le-siege-social-de-gillette-france-quitte-annecy-767801 tells us that DE blade manufacturing at the French Annecy ceased in 1992 and the Gillette French head office moved to Levallois-Perret in 1999, so they were manufactured in somewhere other than France after 1999. So we are looking for another EU source...

Gillette acquired both Wizamet in Lodz, Poland and Astra in Prague, Czechia, so one of these is the likely source. @Mopar Mark has already commented that Lodz was repurposed for cartridge manufacture, Gillette making no DE blades of their own there, so Prague is the most logical place of manufacture. This further substantiated by this Czech Blades presentation: http://www.icc-cr.cz/files/akce/130925_26_ewbf2013/iv_04_milan_masa.pdf showing Gillette ownership from 1996 to 2005 and I own NOS Gillette Stainless Blades clearly showing Gillette Czech s.r.o. as the place of manufacture:

1697666198625.png

I assume that at some point after 2000, Gillette decided to stop using date codes at this plant.

Last edited:
1000031624.jpg

These are known as 'Annecy Swedes' on the grounds that Annecy is listed as the site of the French distributer and once again Stockholm is listed at the end of the distributors list. Furthermore, no place of manufacture is listed. I have these blades with a Q1 i.e. Q1 1996 date code which ties in with these once more being made by Gillette Czech s.r.o. Annecy at this point was the French distribution centre, but manufacturing had ceased: https://www.lesechos.fr/1999/04/le-siege-social-de-gillette-france-quitte-annecy-767801

Last edited:
1000031622.jpg

The final of the trilogy. 'Argentine Swedes'. The place of manufacture is clearly illustrated: Buenos Aires, Argentina. I have these with date codes L3 i.e. Q3 1991 and N3 Q3 1992, clearly replacing Annecy production and filling the gap between manufacturing ceasing there and the acquisition of Gillette Czech s.r.o. in 1996.

To sum up:

Gillette 'Swedes' fall into three clear groupings:

Argentine Swedes: 1991/92 - 1995: Gillette Argentina
Annecy Swedes: 1996 - 1999: Gillette Czech s.r.o.
The Classic Swedes: 2000 - 2006: Gillette Czech s.r.o.

All Gillette Platinum blades after this date are highly likely to be manufactured in St Petersburg, Russia, although it's possible there might be some Indian production immediately following the divestment of Gillette Czech s.r.o. in 2006

Certain vendors have been known try and pass-off current Gillette Platinum production as 'Swedes'. Don't fall for it. Totally different blades which are noticeably less sharp.

Please feel free to chime in with more examples and evidence etc

Last edited:
To sum up:

Gillette 'Swedes' fall into three clear groupings:

Argentine Swedes: 1991/92 - 1995: Gillette Argentina
Annecy Swedes: 1996 - 1999: Gillette Czech s.r.o.
The Classic Swedes: 2000 - 2006: Gillette Czech s.r.o.

All Gillette Platinum blades after this date are highly likely to be manufactured in St Petersburg, Russia, although it's possible there might be some Indian production immediately following the divestment of Gillette Czech s.r.o. in 2006

Certain vendors have been known try and pass-off current Gillette Platinum production as 'Swedes'. Don't fall for it. Totally different blades which are noticeably less sharp.

Please feel free to chime in with more examples and evidence etc
Great Write up sean & very informative
Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
...Please feel free to chime in with more examples and evidence etc

With a hot shower, good facial wash and usage of good soaps I can tell zero difference nowadays. None, nichts, nada.

FWIW, I exit the shower and dry everything but my face and then after lathering I let the soap sit on my face for at least a minute after lathering before commencing the shave. All blades pretty much shave the same with this method. YMMV.

1000031627.jpg

The ultra rare (AFAIK) Italian market (note Gillette S.p.A. Milano) Platinum Plus, also called the Super Silver Platinum Plus on the blade. The date code is H3 i.e. Q3 1987. Whilst I can't prove it conclusively, I strongly suspect these were made in England and are just regular Platinum blades with alternate market specific branding.

Answering my own question...

A huge surprise, they are actually Spanish

gillette-platinum-plus-vintage-scaled.jpg

gillette-platinum-plus-vintage-1-scaled.jpg

Last edited:
Answering my own question...

A huge surprise, they are actually Spanish

gillette-platinum-plus-vintage-scaled.jpg

gillette-platinum-plus-vintage-1-scaled.jpg

Gillette acquired Bassat S. A. in Spain for blade production and, in 1974, began double edge blade manufacturing in Morocco and Kenya...

The Gillette Company is closing its disposable-razor factory near Seville in southern Spain, eliminating 246 jobs. Executives of Gillette Espanola S.A. gave union leaders the news yesterday at a meeting in Seville. They said closing the plant at Alcala de Guadaira was part of the United States-based parent company's plan to eliminate 2,000 jobs worldwide during the next two years. Gillette will limit European production of razor blades and disposable razors to its plants at Isleworth in Britain and Germany. A Gillette spokeswoman, Yolanda Navarro, said she could not say when the plant would stop production or what type of severance pay workers would receive. Candido Mendez, local secretary general of the General Workers Union, said plant closings by multinational companies are turning Andalusia into "an industrial desert and an economic disaster."

Bloomberg News, March 19, 1994

Back
Top Bottom