Gillette platinum

The blades i have a similar packaging but mine are Bulgarian & Russian.
I like them although i find the Bulgarian better that the Russian.
i don’t think i like them enough for a dedicated thread lol

Not seen made in China on the box before, though.

With Astra's moving to Indian production and now this, good to see there's at least one multinational not just willing to take the money and run.

There have been a lot of versions of the Gillette Platinum over the years. Earliest I've seen are the made in England ones from the late 1960s, pictured here with the blue pack with silver strip. The silver coloured pack is 1970s and still made in England.
PXL_20230131_201321991.jpg
Both arr cardboard outer boxes over plastic dispensers with space on the underside for used blades.
IMAG0447.jpgPXL_20211020_130058961.jpg
PXL_20211014_142248433.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgPXL_20221212_132121943.jpg

There has also been a misleadingly named Swede version (mention of Sweden on the rear of the blister card but not made in Sweden) which I think appeared early 90s. Pictured here bottom left with some other 1970s and 1980s variants:
Screenshot_20231008-092224.png
Screenshot_20231008-090742.png

Later on there were Russian versions and now Chinese.

Last edited:
A Russian version:
image.jpgimage.jpg
There's also a Russian one that comes with other blades on a single large hanging card. It's got a darker blue border on a white background. I probably have one somewhere but can't find it at the moment.

I believe there were some versions made in France but I've only ever seen more modern versions of the Gillette Bleue Extra from there.
I'm sure a few other types will come out of the woodwork in due course. I'll update this thread if so.

All Platinums shave well for me. They're all long lasting and often for me err towards sharpness over smoothness. They're not harsh but they are not as smooth as their sister blade the Super Silver, except
I have noticed that the modern Chinese version seems a bit smoother but a bit less sharp.

The blades i have a similar packaging but mine are Bulgarian & Russian.
I like them although i find the Bulgarian better that the Russian.
i don’t think i like them enough for a dedicated thread lol
Haven't tried the Bulgarian ones. What do they look like? I know there is a Gillette Platinum variant in the recent retro style relaunch of razor and blades that Gillette are/were selling in supermarkets.

Haven't tried the Bulgarian ones. What do they look like? I know there is a Gillette Platinum variant in the recent retro style relaunch of razor and blades that Gillette are/were selling in supermarkets.
They actually look exactly like the Russian although a better blade in my eyes.

@Kevy done a Sotd a couple of years ago & i managed to get hold of some.
Can’t actually remember where i got them

They actually look exactly like the Russian although a better blade in my eyes.

@Kevy done a Sotd a couple of years ago & i managed to get hold of some.
Can’t actually remember where i got them

Gillette did 'tinker' with the St Petersburg Platinum blade a few years ago; not just the packaging. I remember trying both 'before' and 'after' side by side and the latter was marginally better, although still not quite on point for sharpness IMHO. I can't find the thread in question, but I distinctly remember @Bogeyman chiming in too.

The so-called 'Bulgarian' variant, was of course still made in St Petersburg; Gillette never having a manufacturing facility in Bulgaria. The Bulgarian element is just the packaging references.

I will add photos of more variants over the next few days (including all of the so-called Swedes), but here's a starter for 10....

This variety was short-lived experiment by Gillette England in 1969 and 1970 which had streamlined cut-outs. The only problem was that whilst this worked fine for what were current Gillette TTO razors, they were not compatible with other razors, including earlier Gillette models.

IMG-20210525-205145.jpg

IMG-20210525-205303.jpg

These have a O4 date code i.e. Q4 1969 and shave extremely well. I use them in my Blackland ERA which is physically compatible

I will add photos of more variants over the next few days (including all of the so-called Swedes), but here's a starter for 10....

This variety was short-lived experiment by Gillette England in 1969 and 1970 which had streamlined cut-outs. The only problem was that whilst this worked fine for what were current Gillette TTO razors, they were not compatible with other razors, including earlier Gillette models.

View attachment 112332

View attachment 112333

These have a O4 date code i.e. Q4 1969 and shave extremely well. I use them in my Blackland ERA which is physically compatible
Thanks. I had a blade with this slot design a long time ago but I think it was on a Platinum Plus blade (could be wrong, and I don't know when the Plus version was made) and now wonder if any of my unopened packs of the Platinums will share this 'feature'. I do have more packs of the 'dark blue with silver strip late 1960s/early 1970s' variant but I'm not in a hurry to open them all just to find out.
Would be interested to hear more about that slot design and if any other blades shared it, plus any info on the seemingly rare Platinum Plus if you have any, @SeanC.
Regardless, I look forward to your forthcoming posts, especially about the "Swedes".

Last edited:
Thanks. I had a blade with this slot design a long time ago but I think it was on a Platinum Plus blade (could be wrong, and I don't know when the Plus version was made) and now wonder if any of my unopened packs of the Platinums will share this 'feature'. I do have more packs of the 'dark blue with silver strip late 1960s/early 1970s' variant but I'm not in a hurry to open them all just to find out.
Would be interested to hear more about that slot design and if any other blades shared it, plus any info on the seemingly rare Platinum Plus if you have any, @SeanC.
Regardless, I look forward to your forthcoming posts, especially about the "Swedes".

Mr Razor has a US made Platinum Plus strangely without a date code, although he believes they are from 1969 / 1970, that also has similar cut-outs:

1970s Dispenser 5 Platinum Plus.jpg

He also has the same English made blades as me, but with a Quarter 1 1970 (P1) date code.

I've used English made Gillette Platinum blades from Q2 1969 (O2) and Q4 1970 (P4) that had the standard cut-outs and have yet to come across another pack the same as the one I posted earlier in the thread, so I think they are probably quite rare.

Going back to the Platinum Plus. I have a handful in my possession that are English made, but not for sale here. Italy from memory. I will post these in due course

Last edited:
Gillette did 'tinker' with the St Petersburg Platinum blade a few years ago; not just the packaging. I remember trying both 'before' and 'after' side by side and the latter was marginally better, although still not quite on point for sharpness IMHO. I can't find the thread in question, but I distinctly remember @Bogeyman chiming in too.

The so-called 'Bulgarian' variant, was of course still made in St Petersburg; Gillette never having a manufacturing facility in Bulgaria. The Bulgarian element is just the packaging references.
Hi Sean good shout although the packaging was the exact same which made me think it was a different blade.
I’m away from home at the minute or i would look them out

Back
Top Bottom